SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Administration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Administration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to download malicious files for Security Admins

If "Set-SPOTenant -DisallowInfectedFileDownload $true" is set, and an infected file is detected, there is no way to download it for analysis, for security team. It would be great to give such access to Security Admins or another role and be able to download the file as a password protected zip for analysis and determine if it's a fale or true positive.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Do not allow users with only viewing permissions to view contents of access right management

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    閲覧権限のユーザーにはアクセス許可の管理を表示させないでほしい
    Do not allow users with only viewing permissions to view contents of access right management

■Description(内容):
    閲覧権限のユーザーにもアクセス許可の管理が表示されるため、サイトやドキュメントを誰と共有しているか、サイトの所有者が誰かという、コンテンツの閲覧以上の情報が見えている。
    閲覧権限のユーザーにはアクセス許可の管理を表示させないでほしい。

Since users with viewing rights can also view the access rights management interface, they can see who the sites/documents are shared with and who the site’s owner is – i.e. they can see more information than just the content itself.
    Please do not allow users with only read access to see the access rights management information.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. More detailed settings for access permissions

■Title(件名):
    アクセス権限の設定をする際、現在よりも詳細な設定をする機能の実装を希望
    More detailed settings for access permissions

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Onlineにおいて、指定したIP アドレスでのアクセス制御をする際、アクセス許可するユーザーに対して、編集、投稿、閲覧権限等の詳細な設定ができるようにしたい。
    さらに、サイトコレクション全体の設定だけでなく、サイト単体に対する制御ができる機能も実装希望

When restricting access to a specific IP in SharePoint Online, I would like to be able to configure editing, posting and viewing permissions in detail for users with access permissions.
    Also, I would like to be able to set restrictions based on individual sites rather than for whole site collections.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Change the default link type per site collection

I'd like to be able to change the default link type per site collection or even better per site, not just at the tenant level. This ability would reduce incorrect sharing in tightly restricted site collections.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Check third party app access when using Sharepoint admin center IP address access control

■Title(件名):
    SharePoint 管理センターの IP アドレスを使用したアクセス制御について
    Check third party app access when using Sharepoint admin center IP address access control

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint 管理センターの IP アドレスを使用したアクセス制御を有効にした場合、サードパーティ製アプリからのアクセス制御が有効になっているかどうかを確認する術がないので、確認できる機能を実装してほしい。
    Even if Sharepoint admin center IP address access control is enabled, there is no way to check if access from third party apps are controlled or not, so please implement a feature to let us check it.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. User Permission Report

Now user can share folders/files and it will break permissions when user share folder/file. Currently there is no option for site owner to have single view for user access report at different level. He has to go to ACL of each library/folder/file for checking current permission. It will be good if we can have such kind of consolidated report which will list out all ACLs . Also, when we assign permission at site level, there should be option to propagate permission to all child ACL of folders/files which has got unique permission.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove Office 365 Group from Site

In the same way as existing sites can be "upgraded" to "Connect to new Office 365 Group", it would be great if one could go the other way around as well.

We have some sites that were initially created with Office 365 Group. But over time, we see that the functionality for this is not being used at all.

So it would be great if we could get functionality for "cleaning up" or removing the Office 365 Group for a site, or convert it to a standard Team Site (with no Office 365 Group).

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allowing non-owners to invite new users set to disallowed: do not allow EXISTING users with read or contribute to Share

We've recently discovered that the setting in SharePoint Admin that sets "Allowing non-owners to invite new users" to "disallowed" for a site collection means only users that have never had access to the SharePoint Site. We thought it meant new users to the site\library. Existing users with read and contribute rights (non-owners) can still share anything they want and break inheritance on the libraries.

Please give us a way to stop sharing entirely for ALL users or at least for users that are not site owners.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. export site permissions

It would be great to be able to export a Site's user permissions. We require a powershell script to export the permissions for all users. I would like to have a an option in the share point admin GUI to export all user and groups permissions for a site for our security team to review.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Permission trimmed Views

Implement permission trimming on Views

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change of the limit to ameliorate the migration to OneDrive/SharePoint (error: it exceeds the list view threshold)

Hello,

I am doing migration of on-premise servers to the cloud, and Microsoft products have interesting prospect in that matter. However, I am facing an annoying problem. When I move on-premise data from Microsoft servers, I cannot set the same access right in the folders because there is a limit threshold of 50'000 items (The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold). For a company that has several years of data it is very common that they would reach that threshold. I understand that inside the structure, deep in the folders, it might be possible to…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Prevent or at least mention creation of Conditional Access policies when modifying unmanaged device settings

If you modify the Unmanaged devices setting under Access Control in the SharePoint Admin center from "Allow full access from desktop apps, mobile apps, and the web" to "Allow limited, web-only access" and safe this setting, two Conditional Access policies are created targeted to "All Users" and which are enabled. There is no notification that this is happening and can cause some serious issues in a production environment, if the admin making the change is unaware of this "feature". This is even the case when using PowerShell to make the setting.

Please fix this by:
    a) at least notify the…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Modify default behavior for "send an email invitation" when inviting users

When inviting a user to a site, the "send an email invitation" is checked by default. The only way to change this is to make an unsupported change to a hive file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions<version number>\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\aclinv.aspx).

The default of this should be accessible and configurable via code or PowerShell. Additionally, an administrator should be able to set a different default by scope (farm, web application, site collection, site).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Credential prompt when copying / pasting plain text from SharePoint to Excel

Hi, I have a strange issue occurring on all of our SharePoint 2016 farms. A user has brought it to my attention that when he copies plain text from a SharePoint 2016 site (Highlighting the text then copying it) then pastes it into Excel 2016, a credential prompt window appears. It works in Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE11 or Edge! This does work in Microsoft Word,Publisher etc, but not in Excel.

We also have a SharePoint 2013 farm, this works without any issue. there is just something different when copying from SP2016 to Excel 2016.

I've tried pretty…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Clone User Permissions

It would be great if there were a possibility to clone user Permissions in a Site Collection or a single Site (SPWeb). The operation should take a username of an existing user and a new user and just add the new users to all groups the existing user is member of in the site and add the same permissions to all scopes that the existing user has access to. This should be fairly simple since all permissions are stored in a single sql table.

At the moment the only way to clone a users permissions is to enumerate all webs,…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Person or Group columns should look inside AD security groups added to SharePoint groups

Currently when using the "Person or Group" column type, you can limit the lookup to a SharePoint Group, however if that SharePoint Group contains an AD security group, the users won't be interrogated and cannot be verified.

In order to use this functionality currently, individual users must be added and managed within a SharePoint Group, which introduces all kinds of governance and administrative problems.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. When denying access, let the admin determine whether to send an email to the user

Today when a user wants access to a resource, the admin receives an email with their request. If the admin then denies the user's request, the user is sent an email from SharePoint. As an admin, I like to send my own email stating why, and maybe where to go instead. Or I may structure permissions differently than what would happen if I just clicked "Accept". So I don't want SharePoint to automatically send this email. How about a checkmark I can uncheck when I deny the permissions? Admins need this level of control to prevent a confusing user…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multilogon accounts

Provide support for multilogon accounts. Currently i:0#.w|domain\jdoe logging in with windows authentication is not the same as i:60.t|adfs|jdoe@domain.com. I need to be able to connect those accounts to ease out hybridisation.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make the edit history of a site's side link bars available in audit logs

サイトのサイド リンク バーの編集履歴を監査ログから取得できるようにしてほしい。
    Make the edit history of a site's side link bars available in audit logs

■Description(内容):
    ​SharePoint Online のサイトのサイド リンク バーの編集履歴を監査ログから取得できるようにしてほしい。
    Please make the edit history of a ​SharePoint Online site's side link bars available in audit logs.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. In SharePointOnline permission system can be set all files to Download control, It's not just Office files.

In SharePointOnline permission system can be set all files to Download control, It's not just Office files.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base