SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Administration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Administration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

477 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

81 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ship SharePoint Server 2016 with a SAML Claims-aware People Picker

I gather from Bill's "What's New for IT Professionals in SharePoint Server 2016" Ignite session that SharePoint 2016 Web Applications will leverage SAML (Trusted Identity Provider) claims by default.

When using SAML claims with SharePoint 2013, we need to deploy a Custom Claims Provider in order to resolve names (even against AD DS), which introduces a requirement for a Farm Solution. Kirk Evans discusses this here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaevans/archive/2013/05/26/fixing-people-picker-for-saml-claims-users-using-ldap.aspx

Will SharePoint Server 2016 ship with an updated People Picker and Claims Provider that is natively "compatible" with SAML claims, or will a bespoke solution still be needed?

234 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SharePoint Management Shell/Central Administration Auditing

Currently, when an administrator performs an action in the Management Shell/Central Administration, most of the data regarding who and what action took place is not recorded. This makes auditing impossible when there are multiple administrators managing the farm. I would propose putting auditing controls in for the SharePoint Management Shell and Central Administration, to record who and what changes were made.

234 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show recurring events in the new Event Web Part

Hi,

I have the new look Sharepoint online and I notice when creating events in the Events Web App, you don't have the option to configure as a recurring event.

If you create the event and then go site contents > events and manually drill into the event and setup recurring, the event no longer shows up in the Events Web Part.

I think being able to setup recurring events is basic functionality for any calendar so can we get the feature added/fixed?

Regards,
    Andrew

231 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Customizing the Sharepoint home page showing frequent sites and suggested sites

Customizing the Sharepoint home page showing frequent sites and suggested sites, since there are confidential sites that should not be displayed to users of the system

196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

thinking about it  ·  37 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Broken-link checker

Provide a link-check service on all sites, so Site Owners can limit the amount of broken links across their sites. Applies to SharePoint Online and SharePoint Server.

196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for making this suggestion. We don’t currently have plans to implement this, but would love to better understand the scenarios and need.

Do you expect that people are deleting pages, or changing pages/content names frequently enough that they’re breaking other pages/content without knowing it?
    Is the site owner responsible for fixing that content or the authors/editors moving the content around?

7. Solution for "The file [filename] is locked for exclusive use by [account-name]"

An option should be added to the "FILES" tab (when a document is selected) to unlock a document that "is locked for exclusive use by [user]"

As advised by O365 support, currently the only workaround is to download a copy and re-upload.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e044b6d9-40d1-4829-ae51-4c44bae994c8/sharepointonline-2013-the-file-filename-is-locked-for-exclusive-use-by-accountname?forum=sharepointgeneral

176 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add clean-SPcontendatbase to remove orphane objet site and feature

add-cmlet to help Administrator to clean missing objet or missing feature into content database some after test-spcontentdabase

159 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Set Metadata for multiple files

Set Metadata for all files that are being uploaded. Currently when a user uploads multiple documents the metadata has to be set afterwards.
    Add this to SP2016

155 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Taxonomy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a "Show PowerShell" button to each wizard/dialog in SharePoint Central Admin.

In SharePoint Central Administration, it's common knowledge that nearly everything you can do has a PowerShell counterpart. Thus, each wizard / dialog in SharePoint ought to show the equivalent PowerShell command / technique, so the administrator could save some steps in the future. It is also a handy way to learn how to use the cmdlets.

I have seen this capability in other Microsoft products, such as SQL Server Management Studio and the Windows 2012 Server Manager. SP 2016 could definitely benefit from this as well.

149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide ability to create HNSC via Central Admin

Please add the ability to create Host Named Site Collections (with full Content Database selection support) via Central Administration.

Without this ability the adoption of a single web app and HNSC will remain almost non existent within enterprise customers. The only way to do this in a manageable fashion is via the deployment of a custom site provisioning provider - which is a FTS!

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Disable Create News Post from SharePoint Home Page

Add an option from SharePoint Admin's Settings to disable or hide the new "+ Create News Post" from the SharePoint Home. This is a great feature, but how about the people who are not using it or are not ready yet to use this feature at all?

There is an option to hide or disable the " + Create Site" link, but nothing for hiding or disabling the "+ Create News Post" link.

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Site Admins to Disable "Return to Classic Sharepoint" Link

Displaying the "Return to Classic Sharepoint" and "Exit Classic Experience" links, with no option to disable these links, is a terrible idea. When a user switches from the new, modern interface to classic, it allows them to view links that they are not otherwise permitted to view, thereby overriding permissions. I don't want our users to have ability to switch between the two experiences.

110 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow list/library views to be permission based

To be able to create custom public views on a list or library that can be distributed to only certain users. This can help to control who has access to what files within list or library quite simply

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Increase audience compilation

As a school the ability to set rules and audiences in the admin settings is very useful. However, the current frequency for audience compilation is once a week (on Saturdays). It would be very useful to increase that frequency to twice or even three times a week. Would you consider increasing the frequency of that operation? Thank you.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Deny Security

You should be able to apply deny security to objects and sites in SharePoint. Everyone in the company (via domain users AD group membership or some other security group membership) should be able to see a site except employee a, b and c.

As you hire new employees with deny security in place, you don't have to add them to the site.

Imagine this... If you have 20 new hires a week and 200,000 sites that they need access to and each site has random individuals who aren't allowed to see random sites. The administrative burden is huge.

Locking down…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Find a way to create an alert for comments on the modern page added in my SharePoint site.

I can set alerts for items changing on my modern page added in my SharePoint but when people make comments I'm not able to be alerted. This is how we get feedback on certain projects and I'm missing some because they're leaving comments (like I ask) and I have to keep going back to check. I also think you should be able to link to someone else in the group, similar to how Facebook is set up. For example: @Becky -- which then pops up with that person's name I can select -- and they would receive an alert that…

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  SharePoint Upgrade  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. add configurations for enabling/disabling Workflow Auto Cleanup and Auto Cleanup Days

Would like access to Workflow Auto Cleanup as my company has audit and compliance restrictions around retention of workflow approvals and I had to find out the hard way that SharePoint Online permanently deletes workflow history older than 60 days and I can't turn it off.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Synchronize Mobile phone userprofile property on Sharepoint Online

In Sharepoint Online, some user profile properties are not synchronized with Azure AD : for example Mobile Phone".

So, I suggest :
    - add "Mobile Phone" to the syncronization process
    or
    - give the SP Administrator to choose user profile properties to be syncrhonized.

Thanks.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User Profile Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Sharepoint Monitoring( Database) from Central admin

I would like MSFT give us the ability to see the following things/ reports either from Central Admin or Powershell.

Content Database Size( free space, data space etc)
    Site collections in the Database
    Site collections Size per database / per web app.
    Disk space on the SQL Server
    Manage the Permission on DB from SharePoint.

This will help administrators to managed the Content DB and plan the storage space effciently. in the orgnization where SP admin dont have access to SQL server, these reports really help.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 70 71
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base