SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

add configurations for enabling/disabling Workflow Auto Cleanup and Auto Cleanup Days

Would like access to Workflow Auto Cleanup as my company has audit and compliance restrictions around retention of workflow approvals and I had to find out the hard way that SharePoint Online permanently deletes workflow history older than 60 days and I can't turn it off.

68 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Miller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see the point for deleting tasks after 60 days, as we need to keep track of our approval workflows for at least every quarter in a fiscal year, and 60 days is too short. The decision for the time set on deletion of tasks should strongly be given to the user. How can we keep tracks on our tasks for a high level overview??!!!

• FAT_C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is ridiculous to delete task after 60 days that all audit trail would be gone on the approval history.

• Russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see no point in having a cleanup routine that simply breaks the link between the item and the approval record... what space is that really saving..
        We really need control of the deletion of this link, it's fundamental to all document approval processes!?

• Hilary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is critical that we are able to increase the duration of the Workflow Auto Cleanup job so customers are able to refer back to their data for a longer period of time. The inability to preserve the data will make it impossible to move our workflow sites to SharePoint Online.

• Kevin Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If approval workflows are used, then the 60 day deletion makes no sense. There needs to be a way to preserve this data for audit purposes. I'm trying to move a payroll process from an on-prem SP2010 site to SP Online, but the ability to disable auto cleanup is a blocker.

Maybe I am missing something, but what good is an approval chain if the system doesn't store the outcome for as long as the organization needs it?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for disabling Workflow History auto cleanup! What is the point of having a system that keeps history and then deletes it after x number of days. We require this for Purchase Order approval and need a history of actions taken and comments. If we can't use this, then what can we use!

• Alex Dena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been implemented? is it possible to disable the timer or to at least increase it to at least 2 years?

• Marcos Babu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are hard consequences on just disabling Workflow History Auto Cleanup timer job. For that data to remain automatically available through that link it takes lots and lots of table joins which, in the long run, will stress out the farm and content databases.

Thats why I created another suggestion here in Uservoice suggesting different approaches on keeping Workflow History as audit information (after all that the purpose we all want to keep workflow history for 1, 2 years or more, right?

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/330318-sharepoint-administration/suggestions/13386285-find-another-way-to-handle-workflow-history-in-the

• Sabrina Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maintaining an audit trail in Sharepoint is critical to our processes. We need to be able to maintain workflow history due to compliance restrictions and audit requirements. An automatic delete after 60 days removes a main feature the brought us to SharePoint as a solution in the first place. Please make the Auto Cleanup a function that we are able to disable

• Ashley Sparks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the option to disable the Workflow Auto Cleanup. We desperately need this option for audit trail.

• Michelle Schulte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add the option to enable/disable the Workflow Auto Cleanup. Our compliance policy requires that we retain workflow history indefinitely. I found out by accident yesterday while searching the help files on workflows. Luckily we were able to capture the workflow history detail in time but this is a very cumbersome process and we cannot sustain it in our process in the long term. This is a very critical item for our business.

• Veronique Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! There is no point in having workflow history if it gets deleted after 60 days. Compliance regulations state some information needs to be kept for years if not indefinitely.

Feedback and Knowledge Base