SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Increase audience compilation

As a school the ability to set rules and audiences in the admin settings is very useful. However, the current frequency for audience compilation is once a week (on Saturdays). It would be very useful to increase that frequency to twice or even three times a week. Would you consider increasing the frequency of that operation? Thank you.

87 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HarzicN shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Troy Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of using the User Profile Service audiences, instead build dynamic Azure AD Office365 groups for on-demand compilation.

• Peter Ridgway-Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect Microsoft simply cannot do this as it could bring o365 to a crawl. This is not immediately obvious but because Microsoft have many servers and because your tenancy will be hosted alongside other tenancies on given Microsoft servers then if we were to be able to run an audience compilation on demand it would create o365 chaos because ALL tenancies would be recompiled. One of the gotcha's in SharePoint Online I'm afraid.

So that rules out compilation on demand but audience compilation is a vital part of stickiness on a company intranet and that is a blocker on adopting SharePoint Online as a company intranet for larger organizations.

This could be partially addressed by making it more frequent as suggested - say two or three times a week. It could also be addressed by separating out the recompilation to be run on a dedicated servers farm perhaps? I realize that would not be easy.

I recently had to tell my new CIO that he would not be able to see his personalized content for a week. What was even worse was that for some unknown reason the weekend timer job for compilation did not run for our tenancy so he had to wait two weeks and he was rather scathing as you can imaging - upsetting senior decision makers like this is not good for anyone.

Come on Microsoft you need to do better than this!

• Peter Ridgway-Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply cannot understand why Microsoft have not implemented an on-demand audience compilation via powershell for this reason.

If SharePoint Online is going to be sticky with increased user adoption it is absolutely CRITICAL to be able to compile audiences in a timely fashion. It is ridiculous to ask users who move department to wait up to a whole week for Microsoft to compile an audience. In the meantime they cannot see their targetted content.

When I informed my new Finance director he blew his top and asked why the heck we are on such a micky mouse intranet? Microsoft TAKE NOTE.

I also agree 100% with Deborah Joseph's comments.

• Deborah Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful to add this to the Admin UI or make a PowerShell available that would allow us more control over audience compilation? The SharePoint Online Audience Compilation Timer Job for the User Profile Service Application only compiles on a weekly basis and this is too long for us. We have a large user base that constantly moves from one AD Group to another based on job roles. Waiting 7 days for they sync means the user has to wait a week until audience-targeted content is displaying correctly for them. This should run daily and admins should be able to force an audience compilation via the admin UI, as you can in the on-premises version of SharePoint.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another reason to delay my progress towards the cloud.
        What use is this function if yo only sync the settings once per week ?

• Kyle Bakker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going in to an implementation for an organization of 35K Users. They want a high degree of role based content on their intranet. I was planning to use the Audiences to do this. The once a week compilation schedule will completely ruin my plans. There is no way that once a week is going to cut it. Very disappointing.

• Kismat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either increasing the frequency of compiling Audiences, or even better giving us the ability to compile ourselves would be a godsend.

• Jamie J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is a great feature that is not usable any longer because we are unable to compile audiences. At the very least, they should compile 1x daily. Of course, on demand is the best scenario.

• Mark Cooley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organisation also finds this very limiting. Ideally we would like audiences compiled daily.

• Jhiar Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same limitation, having the job run weekly makes it almost un-usable. Increasing the frequency would allow us to use this functionality to target content to people based on properties.

• HarzicN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a clarification to my initial request, this applies to SharePoint Online in Office365. I understand that this is configurable by an administrator on premises.

Feedback and Knowledge Base