SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Allow list/library views to be permission based

To be able to create custom public views on a list or library that can be distributed to only certain users. This can help to control who has access to what files within list or library quite simply

73 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gareth Allan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100 % agree on this! We have a few lists that only specific users should see a price column. Being able to do this would prevent us from having to have basically 2 lists with the exact same data.

• Michelangelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using obscure view names and disseminating the hyperlinks to targeted users can kind of accomplish this, albeit you would want the default view to be set to show no content.

I personally find it tedious to manage permissions at the file/folder level, and even the library/list level. Ideally I want to manage permissions from the site level whenever possible, and so this would not be appeasing for me, because this is even more granular then file/folder level permissions.

• Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Altough this is not a security barrier for the user who know the specific id of an item or are using other Tools. It would be a very good solutions to make many lists more flexible and dynamic when you can choose to hide some fileds for some users and have them shown for others just by using views. It could even be possible to have forms be based of views to hide or show fields.

• Chad Hynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think tag-level security would provide more flexibility overall, but view-level would be a simpler solution to the problem of managing item-level security. This is one of the biggest shortcomings with SharePoint IMO.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a new Team Site and managing files/folders within that site, we need the ability to select which users or groups can view specific folders. Currently, I can grant permissions for subfolder to a user, but if the folder is not at the top level of the Team Site, then the user does not see the folder from their Documents list. The user can still go to the direct URL of the shared folder if they have the link, but cannot follow the team site and select Documents to view the shared folder.

Feedback and Knowledge Base