SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

the error “Someone else has this workbook locked”

When editing in Excel Online, the error “Someone else has this workbook locked” occurs sometimes.
It might be locked on the server side, due to internet communication speed, unexpected PC shutdown or browser working stopped.
When editing in Excel, the error “Upload failed. The server version of this file was updated by another author.” occurs sometimes.
The file could not be closed properly for unexpected reasons and be locked on the server side.
I really need you to improve this function that either make files cannot be locked or tell me the way how to unlock the files from the server side.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Office 365 Japan Support Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan Helmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need a way administratively to unlock a file. Telling users they have to wait for an arbitrary timeout period is definitely not well-received.

• August commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this issue quite regularly. I manage several processes on SharePoint with a large number of people editing files for various teams and sometimes folks leave files on their desktop without closing. Other team members are unable to mark them as "FINAL" in the properties. However, I cannot require check-out because then only one person can edit at a time.

The site administrator should have the ability to kick people out of files on occasion. Just a thought.

Feedback and Knowledge Base