SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Discussion Board Threaded View

Most popular comment and discussion boards in the world have threaded views for clarity. Please add it back to sharepoint, as it's not usable otherwise. Thanks

35 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Dunston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel this is MS way of forcing users to use teams. We would be happy with SharePoint if we had threaded views so we could have a usable discussion site.

• Carl Mongold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a threaded view is necessary to make this useful for anything other than a 1 question survey. It can't be used to collaborate because nobody knows what question or statement is being commented on by a reply. I guess MS wants us to create a new DB for each post and reply.

• Yves Landry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a Threaded view by default (or even just the ability to have it) would increase clarity tenfold.

• Jeroen Vandeweghe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree and support this idea. I do wonder why there are so few votes though. If your company forces you to make use of SharePoint discussions, this is the number one obviously lacking feature as soon as the discussion goes beyond 5 replies.

My current workaround is syncing the discussion list to MS outlook. Once synced, you can select this list and then click in the menu "view" on "conversation settings", where you can check the box for the "Use classic indented view". Wonder above wonders, you suddenly get an indented ("threaded") view on each discussion.

Added bonus: you can see which items are new (they are marked as unread). No more scrolling through discussions to see from where the new replies start!

The list in MS Outlook stays synced and you can even reply from directly in MS Outlook as well.
        There is one bug you have to take into account: when you start up in the morning, it's possible Outlook doesn't sync the discussions. According to our IT department, this has something to do with the authentications, but it's not enough of an issue for MS to solve as you can simply close Outlook and restart it and the syncing works for the remainder of the day.

• Mark Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The discussion board without threaded view is like a mess. We've got discussions with hundreds posts, once I reply to one post, nobody is able to identity to which one. It's like a project managener's hell.

Feedback and Knowledge Base