SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

402 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have, currently people can very easily be shared content that they should't have access to, especially in large organisations. Please implement ASAP!

Could we at a minimum have the feature to create the true link of file path+file name.extension in SharePoint?

• Mark Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you stop thinking about this please?

I can't fathom how it's not the default. To me UI/UX should be that the default option does the least damage to the file/folder/library/site access.

If the site is configured correctly then the people with existing access link provides a link for teams to access, what the default copy link does is create a link that can then roam around letting people into the file. It's nice to think people will know the difference or know what creating a link does, but they should actually be guided and warned of what they're doing during the creation process.

Seems poor security practice if you ask me.

• Troy Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add soon, multiple people has accidentally sent links to files that should not be edited and it is very difficult to clear up afterwards :(

As an intranet admin, we periodically move intranet URL e.g. to start using Modern site features.
    To stop users getting to the old intranet, we remove them from the "old intranet visitors" group.
    BUT
    because we could not set the default sharing option in the old intranet to "people with existing access", after we move to the new intranet URL links created using the Share button for "specific users" OR "people in CompanyX with the link" still allow users access to the OLD content.

Please provide the facility to set the default share/copy link option to "people with existing access" , so that I don't have to ShareGate or PowerShell, removing unique permissions on 10000s of files.

For collaboration spaces your reasoning behind the way share/copy link options work is perfect. But for authoritative files it causes risk.
    Thanks

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you serious? Imagine a file server where admins cannot prevent end users from editing ACLs whenever they want. Imagine a file server where users can create shortcuts to folders which allow anyone with the shortcut to access it, and admins have no visibility via the ACL on who could access this folder at any moment. Oh wait, we don't have to imagine that - it's called SharePoint. The sharing capabilities are welcomed, but sharing is not always the answer. Please provide an alternative.

This is much needed functionality to avoid creating permission mess. Currently implementation is creating lot of overhead for us.

• Rhys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this asap! You're allowing users to break the inherited permissions without any difficulty!

• Tonyishere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many scenarios where permission inheritance should not be broken as default through sharing. Please enable this!

• Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a new user and gave edit access to documents that should not have been edited. "IT" had to help me figure out what I did wrong. I 100% agree that "People with Existing Access" should be the default to keep needless mistakes like this from happening.

• Engeline Snijders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to have the option to set "People with exising access" tot the Default link type. This because all permissions break on document level which is not desired behavior.

• Maximilian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please guys! Why is this taking so long? In bigger tenants this is a huge security gap!

The sharing settings are appearing in more and more Microsoft apps and we are not able to stop the increasing number of broken permissions because people think they are just copying a link!

• David Do commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this, we're going to end up with a spiderweb of broken inheritance permissions.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base