SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

302 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Maximilian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please guys! Why is this taking so long? In bigger tenants this is a huge security gap!

The sharing settings are appearing in more and more Microsoft apps and we are not able to stop the increasing number of broken permissions because people think they are just copying a link!

• David Do commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this, we're going to end up with a spiderweb of broken inheritance permissions.

• Adam Chasen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

significant security risk to not even be able to adjust a "wide open" default permission generator

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this.

People want to use 'Copy Link' more often than not to create convenient links to documents for others rather than set permissions but aren't bothered enough to change link type to avoid setting unique permissions on it. So we end up having to go in, blow away all the unique permissions, and remind our users who then proceed to forget about all this a few days later and the cycle continues.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What Troy points out is right - I can't believe the security in SharePoint sometimes. We have a real need on one document library (HR related) to prevent anyone, including the owners, from sharing links with everyone except those who already have access. It's a very basic requirement.

• Troy Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current configuration requires you set a default that will always make the item have unique permissions. Having the default be "people with existing access" is preferred so inherited permissions are maintained.

OH I GET IT NOW!

The "Copy Link" button does this. Because I'm not "Sharing" it

mind = blown

I still want this feature though because it's just an accident waiting to happen.

It is not logical for anybody to use the Copy Link option and just break inheritance. This should be fixed. The option should be just what it says "to copy the link"

I was looking for a way to fix inheritance on tons of individual files where users have created links and came across this. Definitely a smart idea. Who would think this should be the default and then not create an easy way to search for, and remove unique file permissions? Why do Microsoft programmers never think logically?

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People are horrified when they realize they grant RW access to their documents to random people when they expect just a copy of a link

• Simon Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How this is not the OOTB setting is unbelievable. Definitely required to be the default.

• Rachel Bening commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please address this. It's essential that permissions aren't broken accidentally. We need a way to get a link which will open in the browser without breaking permissions.

Is anything happening with this? I think this is an essential and would strongly advise people to avoid upgrading to SharePoint Online until this is fixed

Please restrict users from being able to share/copy link to parties outside the established permissions by default

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really good. Especially for Site Owners to set the default as well as Admins.

We have just spent days fixing broken inheritance on files as we didn't realise this setting was in place. Now have it fixed so that users cant break inheritance however if an admin or someone with full control clicks on copy link it will automatically break the inheritance again.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base