SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

Add "People with Existing Access" to the Default Link Types under SharePoint Admin Center's sharing options.

122 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this should be the default, because the users break the Rights structure when they share the file for People who already have Access.
        And from my Point of view this is the common behavior

• Michael Delpach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. Within our Alliance (internal and external), internal Alliance members inadvertantly send links to external Alliance members with the default link setting which is "People in [Internal Organisation]".

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is extremely necessary. One of my biggest gripes with Sharepoint Online currently is the need for users to micro-manage permissions. We need to be able to create links without changing the permissions!

Yes!
        Absolutely necessary. Now constantly the wrong links are sent to (external) contributors. Furthermore, I do not want to allow people to change permission by generating a link

• Björn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolute must have setting in order to avoid security leaks. In some of our directories users created a mass of item level persmissions which are not manageable anymore!!

• Forrest Trepte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes me hesitant to store confidential information in SharePoint. If one person forgets to change the default, it could potentially result in exposing access to their entire company.

• Andrés Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this feature in our organization to avoid users creating unique permissions when sharing.

Really needed feature! People regularly forget to change the default option and we end up with a lot of unique permissions.

Indeed this is needed urgently ! Users simply forgot about permissions levels and are simply not aware of who has access to what.

• p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed urgently. Users simply forgot about permissions levels and are simply not aware of who has access to what.

Please set this as the default to reduce risk of sharing info with others outside of the intended audience. Thank you.

• Gail Tiemann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in a large research center in an even larger university (sharepoint org is the university). We need this feature! It will reduce headaches with every day use of the get link feature. If a user forgets and does not change the link type, then there is small risk of exposing content to people in the larger organization who should not have access. Please fix!

• Kev Maitland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't imagine many scenarios where "mess with the permissions" is a better default than "don't mess with the permissions" in SharePoint. I can see a case for OneDrive where the default permissions are restricted to the individual user, but in a nicely-designed RBAC-focused SharePoint deployment, the users shouldn't /need/ to micro-mange permissions like this.

Seems like a quick win for the SharePoint team?

We need this "People with Existing Access" to set Default Link sharing in our Tenant. Please let me know when will be available on this feature in SharePoint admin center.

• Bouke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround: you can enforce this setting per sitecollection. If you disable the site-setting which allows members to share folders and files AND disable to allow access requests (in site settings -> site permissions -> settings for access requests…) , the only selectable option will be: people with existing access. Hope this helps ;-)

• Leif Kjos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. By default unique permissions are created for people who already have access... this clutters up our sharing system.

• JaneO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. The current default is so wrong - messes with permissions, links stop working (across sites)... there are so many reasons why I want this implemented.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base