SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

1 TB site collections

SharePoint Server should also be able to have up to 1TB site collections as per SPO. SPO is still running a with SP and SQL so there should not be any reason why this could not be implemented on premises

25 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dylan Harmes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bob Hooker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft data centers are not your onsite site collections. I am not sure what Microsoft did to make Office 365 support 1 TB site collections but initially the news was greeted among architects I new with some skepticism. RBS was suppose to do the same thing some time before. But it seems that MS is sticking with this and I am updating my designs.

A 1 TB site collection with a standard installation is not a great idea, trust me I have seen it done and been hurt by it.

• Neil Hodgkinson [Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dylan. You can't really take SPO as being representative of an on premises deployment. The scaling in SPO is heavily dependent on Microsoft Datacentre architecture and more than just SharePoint and SQL Server.
    Having said that you could implement a 1TB site collection on premises if you properly consider the operational aspects required to do that. SQL maintenance and a thoroughly tested backup and recovery process should be keys to that as well as storage that can deliver appropriate performance for that scale. Our software boundaries also implies the site collection can be a large as the supported content database size - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(v=office.15).aspx#SiteCollection

Feedback and Knowledge Base