SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Automated Farm Backup

Automated Farm Backup - be able to set and configure scheduled farm backups, including varying the location based on disk space, and by context (e.g. rule based ,if any modification occur on site XYZ, then backup XYZ 1 day afterwards).

46 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

michael ford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also add compatibility to use backup with third party backup solutions, for example if I do a "copy_only" backup in other locations (also for management studio) the native backup incremental with sharepoint not working anymore correctly!
        (bug on SharePoint Code, on query to history backup missing where is_copy_only<>1)

• Paolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Top functions not currently present:
        1. Ability to schedule granular and full backups from the Central Admin UI and checkbox on item to backups, time, frequency, location.
        2. Ability to restore at a granular level from the Central Admin UI (from any of the backups created from the above). I want able to restore single items (list or documents) and ability to restore also workflow.
        3. Ability to reorganize content (from Central Admin or Riboon on SP): reorganize documents, list on different site (with also workflow, etc.), move subsite to site. Similary options to third part products.

• Tony Rockwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Top functions not currently present
        1. Ability to schedule granular and full backups from the Central Admin UI
        2. Ability to restore at a granular level from the Central Admin UI (from any of the backups created from the above)

• Adriana Wood [Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for providing this feedback to us. In terms of the existing out of box SharePoint farm backup option -- what are the top functions not currently present, which you'd like to see, in order of importance.

• Greg Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An out of box, full featured, automated backup that provides item-level restore would be great.

I don't want to have to tell my customers to spend another $5,000 for a third party backup tool for the farm I just built for them. The method I use the most often (for customers who don't want to spring for backup software) is to use Backup-SPFarm on a Windows Scheduled Task, along with a SQL maintenance plan to back up the ancillary databases on the SQL server. This is better than nothing. It covers some scenarios, but doesn't really provide an intuitive item-level restore. The average IT admin isn't going to know much about the Offline Content Database restore, turning what should be a simple task into a struggle.

That said, the out of box native SharePoint farm backup isn't terrible. I just wish it did more.

Feedback and Knowledge Base