SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

SharePoint Created Databases do not follow model DB settings in MS SQL

The issue I am attempting to resolve / highlight is that the SQL DBs created by SharePoint have various settings for Statistics creation and Autogrowth is set to 1MB.

The problem is that with an autogrowth of 1MB SQL is always growing the DBs therefore impacting SharePoint performance significantly due to hammering the disk channel. My request is that SharePoint by default would use the SQL Model DB to create it's DBs. By default the SQL Model DB has the settings that SharePoint implements today except for the seemingly random settings regarding Statistics that SharePoint creates for some reason. What I am asking for is when SharePoint uses MS SQL that it would use the Model DB in SQL for the settings on DB creation. This would allow SharePoint to function efficiently out of the box if the SQL Admin took the time to setup the Model DB correctly.

I suspect that MS would not want the OOB experience to be under performing however I also understand the need to use compatible settings.

13 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cory Stewart shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Neil Hodgkinson [Sr. Program Manager, Microsoft] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SharePoint takes limited dependency on SQL modelDB guidance because we have to stay true to the parameters we are able to test. If the SQL team were to change their defaults we would need to retest a whole swathe of scenarios all over again.

Our approach here is to document the changes you should make and provide guidance rather than take dependencies.

Feedback and Knowledge Base