SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

create a SharePoint 2016 foundation

after the last ignite I have read that there will be no SharePoint 2016 Foundation.
I suggest you create a foundation Version of the SharePoint 2016, because there are many customers who want to use the foundation.

130 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anton Klein shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Comments are closed
  • Mike Beutler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really kicks the users migrating from SBS 2011 right in the nads. They will all be upgrading to Server 2016 in the next 3 years and have NO replacement for MOSS. It's already bad enough they have to buy Exchange separately now. Microsoft clearly doesn't care about small business. If it weren't for archaic apps like QuickBooks I wouldn't even be using Windows Server anymore. Keep giving me reasons to look elsewhere and I will overcome those obstacles as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great error from Microsoft
    A lot of small companies try this version before doing a big investment.
    please add foundation to the new version

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SharePoint Foundation to introduce SharePoint functionality to small companies that are afraid of new concepts. This gives them a chance to play and review without a major cost or the limitations of a trail that will expire. If they get tied up with other work they can come back to it.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Foundation is needed! Unfortunately now I'll worry that they'll just kill it off again come next version...

• Muskiier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Foundation to provide an intranet information portal for employees. Office365 and SharePoint Online are fine, but we have piloted them and found no return over our internal solution for which Foundation is a perfect fie. If there is no Foundation long term we will migrate to another solution sooner than later.

• cacallahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have many customers, municipalities, hospitals, schools, that use Foundation. It is a shame that Microsoft will support on-premises, but only for enterprises.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an independent SharePoint developer and in many cases I use SP Foundation as a low cost, entry point for small organizations, who already have Windows Server licenses and no intranet. Once they love the tool and grow their business they can upgrade to SP Server.

• SuperMJT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SharePoint Foundation is a valuable add-on to Windows Server. Please continue to include it.

• CL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SharePoint server is paid for in our Production environment. Sharepoint Foundation was used in our Sub production environments for POC work. We also use it in our sub production TFS environments. If the POCs and sub production tooling now comes with a SharePoint Server licensing costs we may abandon it all together. O365 is not an option for us.

• BP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropping foundation is just another push to open source. MS should be making it easier and cheaper to use their products instead of more complicated and more expensive. SharePoint foundation is the Koolaid that gets a small business to buy into unified communications. It is a gateway to full sharepoint, exchange, Lync and SQL.

Not everyone believes in the cloud subscription model or even has the ability to use cloud based services. Also the ROI for a 50-150 person organization does not exist in the cloud and that is the sweet spot for foundation with third party solutions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well done Microsoft. First baiting the market with free versions over many years and then forcing customers to upgrade to the retail versions and then skim off the market with licenses.
    Fine fashion! Microsoft will lose again Image and customers will be migratie into other products (like open source).

• Guenther Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with Stefan. SharePoint foundation ist also a business for Plattform for many Microsoft Partners, Nintex, bamboo solutions, ....

• Charles Babcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was plain stupid to omit foundation. Many companies will just never buy SharePoint server. Also, eliminating the ability to use SQL Express. Double stupid.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company have deployed many SharePoint Foundation Farms. If there is really no foundation version, we will be like many Companies forced to switch to an Open sourced version instead.

If Foundation is still available, then there is still a chance for my Company to convert some Foundation users to Server version.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base