SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Administration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Administration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Permission trimmed Views

Implement permission trimming on Views

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allowing non-owners to invite new users set to disallowed: do not allow EXISTING users with read or contribute to Share

We've recently discovered that the setting in SharePoint Admin that sets "Allowing non-owners to invite new users" to "disallowed" for a site collection means only users that have never had access to the SharePoint Site. We thought it meant new users to the site\library. Existing users with read and contribute rights (non-owners) can still share anything they want and break inheritance on the libraries.

Please give us a way to stop sharing entirely for ALL users or at least for users that are not site owners.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Credential prompt when copying / pasting plain text from SharePoint to Excel

Hi, I have a strange issue occurring on all of our SharePoint 2016 farms. A user has brought it to my attention that when he copies plain text from a SharePoint 2016 site (Highlighting the text then copying it) then pastes it into Excel 2016, a credential prompt window appears. It works in Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE11 or Edge! This does work in Microsoft Word,Publisher etc, but not in Excel.

We also have a SharePoint 2013 farm, this works without any issue. there is just something different when copying from SP2016 to Excel 2016.

I've tried pretty…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When denying access, let the admin determine whether to send an email to the user

Today when a user wants access to a resource, the admin receives an email with their request. If the admin then denies the user's request, the user is sent an email from SharePoint. As an admin, I like to send my own email stating why, and maybe where to go instead. Or I may structure permissions differently than what would happen if I just clicked "Accept". So I don't want SharePoint to automatically send this email. How about a checkmark I can uncheck when I deny the permissions? Admins need this level of control to prevent a confusing user…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multilogon accounts

Provide support for multilogon accounts. Currently i:0#.w|domain\jdoe logging in with windows authentication is not the same as i:60.t|adfs|jdoe@domain.com. I need to be able to connect those accounts to ease out hybridisation.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Clone User Permissions

It would be great if there were a possibility to clone user Permissions in a Site Collection or a single Site (SPWeb). The operation should take a username of an existing user and a new user and just add the new users to all groups the existing user is member of in the site and add the same permissions to all scopes that the existing user has access to. This should be fairly simple since all permissions are stored in a single sql table.

At the moment the only way to clone a users permissions is to enumerate all webs,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Person or Group columns should look inside AD security groups added to SharePoint groups

Currently when using the "Person or Group" column type, you can limit the lookup to a SharePoint Group, however if that SharePoint Group contains an AD security group, the users won't be interrogated and cannot be verified.

In order to use this functionality currently, individual users must be added and managed within a SharePoint Group, which introduces all kinds of governance and administrative problems.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. export site permissions

It would be great to be able to export a Site's user permissions. We require a powershell script to export the permissions for all users. I would like to have a an option in the share point admin GUI to export all user and groups permissions for a site for our security team to review.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Do not allow users with only viewing permissions to view contents of access right management

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    閲覧権限のユーザーにはアクセス許可の管理を表示させないでほしい
    Do not allow users with only viewing permissions to view contents of access right management

■Description(内容):
    閲覧権限のユーザーにもアクセス許可の管理が表示されるため、サイトやドキュメントを誰と共有しているか、サイトの所有者が誰かという、コンテンツの閲覧以上の情報が見えている。
    閲覧権限のユーザーにはアクセス許可の管理を表示させないでほしい。

Since users with viewing rights can also view the access rights management interface, they can see who the sites/documents are shared with and who the site’s owner is – i.e. they can see more information than just the content itself.
    Please do not allow users with only read access to see the access rights management information.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add report abuse button to all shared files

More and more we are receiving phishing emails with hyperlinks to publicly shared Sharepoint documents. In these documents are embedded hyperlinks to spoofed login pages, designed to steal credentials.

Blocking sharepoint.com through Exchange or network layer URL filtering is out of the question as the site is used for legitimate purposes.

Blocking the sender of the email is great to prevent future inbound emails from that sender, but does nothing to protect those user's who will visit the malicious Sharepoint document in the future.

Sharepoint needs an option to report abuse on all files, similar to how Google Drive does.…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Expire link for specific people share

It is possible to sent links to specific people with verification
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-OneDrive-Blog/Introducing-a-new-secure-external-sharing-experience/ba-p/112624/page/2

What would be helpful is to also allow in that specific people share the possibility that the external sharing links via "Share with specific people" expire after a nr. of days.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Modify default behavior for "send an email invitation" when inviting users

When inviting a user to a site, the "send an email invitation" is checked by default. The only way to change this is to make an unsupported change to a hive file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions<version number>\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\aclinv.aspx).

The default of this should be accessible and configurable via code or PowerShell. Additionally, an administrator should be able to set a different default by scope (farm, web application, site collection, site).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. User Permission Report

Now user can share folders/files and it will break permissions when user share folder/file. Currently there is no option for site owner to have single view for user access report at different level. He has to go to ACL of each library/folder/file for checking current permission. It will be good if we can have such kind of consolidated report which will list out all ACLs . Also, when we assign permission at site level, there should be option to propagate permission to all child ACL of folders/files which has got unique permission.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. In SharePointOnline permission system can be set all files to Download control, It's not just Office files.

In SharePointOnline permission system can be set all files to Download control, It's not just Office files.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Implement a feature to not publish videos if access permissions are not set

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    アクセス権限を設定しないと動画を公開できない機能の搭載
    Implement a feature to not publish videos if access permissions are not set

■Description(内容):
    情報漏洩やセキュリティ事故防止のため、動画をアップロードする際に公開範囲を限定的にして、閲覧者を登録しないと公開されないようにすることができる機能を要望します。​
    In order to prevent information leak and security incidents, we hope for a feature to limit the visibility of uploaded videos and not publish the videos if no viewers are registered.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Giving a permission to share the site with another tenant’s users

I would like to give a permission to a security group in the shared tenant by specifying the security group for external sharing via SPO.
    Currently we need to add an external user to the security group into the shared tenant because we cannot allow to give a permission to the security group in another tenant. I would like to give a permission efficiently.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Disable Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders in the Access Requests Settings by default for SharePoint Online si

I would like you to add a feature to disable Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders in the Access Requests Settings in SPO. This option is currently enabled by default, so it would be great if the option is disabled by default when creating a site. And I would like you to implement a feature to restrict sharing sites by tenant-level.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support for Modern Authentication (ADAL) in SharePoint 2016

ADFS / SAML Claims Authentication in SharePoint 2016 (on-prem) works great for web browsers, but barely works for Office Applications and doesn't work at all for the mobile app. Both Office and mobile work fine with ADFS / SAML in SharePoint Online.

Please add support for ADAL / 'Modern Auth' to SharePoint 2016 so we can offer the full SharePoint experience to our users!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Delete Site---Delete Permission Groups

It would be great if we can delete a site and the associated permission groups would automatically get deleted as well. If for some reason, the associated groups are used on another site, list or library, SharePoint would flag the end user with an urgent message and where the group(s) are being used and an action required prior to the deletion.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow sharing to be set at the permissions level

Allow folder and file sharing to be set at the permission level, instead of the site level. It would be easier to set up groups of people that can share and groups that can't, without having to create different subsites.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base