SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Administration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Administration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow customizations on the sharepoint home page

allow customizations on the sharepoint home page (_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx) or allow redirecting to other pages

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You cannot create alerts for lists for which users can only read their own items

You cannot create alerts for lists for which users can only read their own items.
    This error appears even for the colleagues who is the owner of the survey.
    Would be good if the owners can subscribe to alerts irrespective of this privacy settings who can see the responses,

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Audit Sharepoint Online Administration (Office 365)

Reports for Sharepoint administration is not available through the Portal. For example, an administrator changed the sharing options outside the organization.
    Tried to locate which user global administridor held this change and not found.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create a copy-SPOsite

It would be nice to be able to copy a site to a new site

We have a range of test sites
    At a time these gets to a point in time where they move from test site to production sites
    But there is no possibility to rename/copy a site

Only posibility I have found is to create a template including contence - but it has a 50 mb limit

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Backup/Restore/High Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow the change domain primary url in sharepoint

Allow the change domain primary url in sharepoint

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use your own domain as sharepoint site

Hey All,

what I want and I think that a lot off you also want this is:

When I go to let me say my tenant is choco then I must go to https://choco.sharepoint.com/sites/.... to get to my sites.
    It is easier to implement that when we go to let me say https://sh.choco.online/....

where the ... is every different site late personal folder and stuff like that

and when you make a teamsite you can then choose to take the following subdomein: ts.choco.online. the only thing that is needed is offcourse that the domain choco.online is the domain…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable auditing of the Term Store

Currently it is not possible to audit changes to the Term Store. Given that changes made in the term store can significantly impact thousands of documents, adding, editing, merging, deleting of terms should be audited so we have the capability to track who is making changes.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Revert default date format to "Standard" from "Friendly"

When I want to know the time and date that something was Created or Modified I require a bit of standardized precision.
    e.g. [5/31/2017 7:33 PM] (actually, I'd prefer the ISO standard of [2017-05-31 19:33] but that's another discussion).
    Instead, the "Friendly" format gives you useless approximations like "a few minutes ago", or "29 minutes ago", or "May 5".
    This is what people are used to and what I suspect is the majority use case.
    Why would we want to impose a non-standard format, "Friendly" or otherwise. The "Friendly" format is the unusual non-standard format and as such deserves to…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sharepoint Child Items Permission flag

In UI we have option to grant permission to child items along with the folder permission using the checkbox "Share everything in this folder, even items with unique permission". However there is no api available for sharing permission for child items via api/ CSOM.

It would be better to have this feature.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SharePoint Upgrade  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Roll out ALL changes to the Canary tenant before global roll out

It is very helpful that Microsoft makes a 'Canary Tenant' available to test existing solutions with upcoming changes to the platform. This helps us to catch potential breaking changes early.

However, it turns out that only new functionality is rolled out to the Canary Tenant, not other changes. For example this caused major problems with our customers when Code Based sand-boxed solutions were discontinued without adequate warning (other than a general announcement a couple of years earlier without a specific date).

Please roll out ALL non-emergency changes to the Canary Tenant before rolling them out globally.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automate OneDrive for Business In-Place Hold with PowerShell

Provide cmdlets to enable placing OneDrive for Business personal sites into an In-Place Hold programmatically for archiving of user data.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the option to select your primary domain name for sharepoint sites and not only allow the intial tenant name to be used.

Allow the option to select your primary domain name for sharepoint sites and not only allow the intial tenant name to be used.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable O365 SP Auditing for "Opening or downloading documents, viewing items in lists, or viewing item properties"

Enable O365 SP Auditing for "Opening or downloading documents, viewing items in lists, or viewing item properties"

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enable CMIS in Sharepoint Online

Since OneDrive for Business on the Macintosh does not sync Sharepoint Libraries or Team Sites, I was excited to find an open source sync client called CmisSync. I installed it on my Mac, only to find it will sync with Sharepoint on premise, but not Sharepoint online. Apparently Microsoft failed to enable CMIS in Sharepoint Online. This is a request to review and reconsider this feature. Alternatively, please fix the new OneDrive (DF) client so that I can sync said libraries.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove extraneous characters from term store data export to excel

When SharePoint data is exported to Excel, managed metadata columns show up with extra characters, such as 35;#Metals instead of just Metals. Would be better if only the term name got transferred.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  SharePoint Upgrade  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Display the side link bar at top bar position for Modern sites

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    モダンサイトのサイドリンクバーの表示をトップバーの位置に表示させる
    Display the side link bar at top bar position for Modern sites

■Description(内容):

​コミュニケーションサイトと同様にモダンサイトのサイドリンクバーの表示もトップバーの位置に表示させることが可能になることを強く希望します。サイト表示についてデザイン性を考慮すると、このような機能があれば大変便利です。
    We strongly hope that the side link bar in Modern sites can be displayed at the top bar position just like the communication site. Considering the design of the site display, it will be very useful if there is such a feature.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I would like to have the City and Country attributes in User Profile attributes

I dont find the City and Country attributes in the User Profile attributes for the users though the attributes exists in Active Directory. Please add the two attributes in User Profile as well.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Profile Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable Host Named Site Collections in O365 SharePoint online

In SharePoint online it would be very helpful to also have host named site collections. We use this to logicall sign and separate our URL's like for departments or business units.
    E.g. https://it.mycompany.sharepoint.com and https://hr.mycompany.sharepoint.com

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 365 – SharePoint Online, Usage and Activity Reports

We need information on user with ID activity per site collection with URL, which user has opened, changed, synched, downloaded, published files within which site collection with URL. Currently the tenant admin report shows cumulative data: nr of files opened synched etc. per user, but not clear in which site collections and vice versa nr of files edited within a site collection but without information on the users. Users activity on particular site collection is indeed the most important usage statistic, in order to answer the simple question " who is using what in sharepoint".

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Undo Permission Change

It would be great to have an undo permission settings in SP. Currently users can quickly rectify the mistakes of accidental deletion of content. However there is nothing that helps to rectify any changes made to the permission model i.e. accidentally re inherit permissions from parent, severing all unique changes made.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base