SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Administration

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Administration experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ....

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. People Picker

There's no way to sort or change the order of the nodes in the left column on the People Picker user interface. When I add a trusted provider, I have no control over managing the order.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to view a sharepoint task list, table, or document in either the current browser screen or additional one.

Sharepoint REALLY needs the capability to easily allow users to open something (table, list, document) in another tab of the browser. In other words, allow the user the option to view the item of interest in the current screen (which is how it is done now) and allow the user to, say RIGHT CLICK on the document to open the document in another tab of the browser. Currently, if I want to look at several different documents concurrently, I have to copy a high level link to several tabs of the browser and navigate to each different document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SharePoint Upgrade  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fine grained Locks for SIte/library

Allow Locks similar to Site Collection Lock for smaller objects like Sites or libraries and also allow locks for everybody except Site Collection Administrators and Farm admins

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for sorting of Promoted public sites

When adding promoted sites on the SP landing page, there is no way to put them in alphabetical (title) order. This would be helpful when you have multiple sites for members. This refers to internal users only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SharePoint Upgrade  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. unlock the files with extensions .json, .asmx, .asmx, .soap, .svc, .xamlx

Please unlock the files with extensions .json, .asmx, .asmx, .soap, .svc, .xamlx is necessary when the company, in our case are a software development company and can not synchronize these files to onedrive our library or SharePoint, serious phenomenal, thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SharePoint Online Outgooing mail Persnalization

We should have an option to configure the customer domain on the outgoing mail settings. I could see some customers leaving the O365 because of this. The email domain is generic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Office 365 SharePoint Tenant Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Identify Export events in logs as exports rather than searches in the logs

Have Export events identified in the log as "Export" rather than current event type of "Search".

Based on running the report and then going back to the eDiscovery site and looking through the exports I have determined that I think entries in log as search events are exports that is not apparent. It would be much easier if we could filter on Item Type = Site Collection AND Event = Export

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove "Get Skype for Business" from Office 365 home page

On the homepage of Office 365 there is currently a notice to "Get Skype for Business". This appears even if you have Skype for Business installed or if Skype for Business installations have been disabled by the administrator. Please do something about this as it's a massive usability red flag.

Either allow us to turn it off or get rid of it all together.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. MyMailbox feature

In SP site owners can activate the site feature MyMailbox. This create an Exchange mailbox within the site with the email address SMO-<SiteName>@tenantname.onmicrosoft.com. If our Exchange Admins turn of the permission to create a InMailbox in exchange the site owner can still activate the feature, see the mailbox created but upon accessing receive an 403 error. it would be much cooler if the actîvation of the feature is geyed out in someone their SP site.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration with Other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable movement of content between farms

Best practice dictates that we develop in a dev farm, move to test/qa for user testing and verification before deploying into production. Why doesn't SharePoint Central Administration enable this process and encourage best practices?
    We need an OOTB method to both 'refresh' dev & test environments from prod and to easily promote content, lists, libraries, pages etc. from dev to test and on to prod farms. Publishing is not the answer for everything, third party tools work but this is something that should be standard behavior in an enterprise software such as SharePoint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Concatenation of user profile property mapping

There should be a flexibilty to merge two mapping for single user property. I have a oracle database and i have some value there also i have some details related to user in another Active Directory attribute.

I want to merge these valyue from BDC and AD to create the custom property value. It will really help in such cases.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Profile Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Small Business Premium can not see the amount of Space in Sharepoint

There is no way to see you have 10GB + 500mb per user = 15GB for example when using Small Business Premium

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Redesign interface for selecting the OUs from AD when configuring User Profile Sync

It is currently very tedious to drill down through a complex AD structure to select the desired OU because the performance is very slow. It would be nice if this process was re-engineered to incorporate cached OUs and an improved UI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Profile Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. support windows workgroup environment

I would like to install SharePoint Foundation on a windows workgroup environment PC.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  on-premise Central Admin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Central administration rights for web UI

I have setup where external suplier developing sharepoint apps. They should have only Read Interface to CA, which is possible to grant only for POSH. The Web UI is a step above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Auditing & Compliance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Calendar

Calendar site permission should only list group which has site level access. It should not list those groups with "Limited Access" who are assigned unique permission in the lower level calendar list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. people and group should be searchable by partial name instead of paging through hundres of pages to find the group to assign

people and group should be searchable by partial name instead of paging through hundreds of pages to find the group to grant access to a calendar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Proide a [NOW] item in view filters for the current time.

We often create items in lists or libraries that we want to show based upon the ending and starting time. Using [Today] in a view is just not good enough. WE need a [NOW] indicator

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Customizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. DLP Exception Reporting

Provide reporting to identify where users have chosen to allow an exception to DLP policies.

Even better would be to also define an approval workflow (or just a notification at minimum) to trigger immediately when an override is initiated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base