SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Add a way to detect files/Office files which are password protected by DLP across SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Teams

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    SharePoint Online、OneDrive for Business、Teams においても DLP によるパスワード付きファイル、パスワード付き Office ファイルを検知できる機能の提供を希望します。
    Add a way to detect files/Office files which are password protected by DLP across SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Teams

■Description(内容):
    現在、DLP では Exchange でのみ、パスワード付き zip、パスワード付き Office ファイルを検知する機能が提供されているが、SharePoint Online、OneDrive for Business、Teams では機能提供が無い。
    SharePoint Online、OneDrive for Business、Teams においても DLP によるパスワード付きファイル、パスワード付き Office ファイルを検知できる機能の提供を希望します。

Currently there is a function to detect password protected zip files and Office files only in Exchange in DLP, but there is no way to do this in SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business or Teams.
    Please add a way to detect files/Office files which are…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Link items in document libraries should directly open link from search results

Here is the scenario:

You have a modern site with a document library
    In the document library, you have items that are created using the NEW -> LINK option
    These link items are stored as files in the library using a .URL extension

When you perform a search on the site, these link items are returned in search results (good)
    When you click on one of these results, you get file preview page (bad), which says "Hmm... looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you"

This "preview" looks like an error message to users.

It provides…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Lists View By Location (Using A Map)

Currently there is two view formats 'Lists' and 'Calendar', I suggest adding a third. 'View By Location' which shows markers on a map (like Bing Maps) taken from a location field in the list. This would be great for scheduling staff in a location. It would require a date dropdown as a filter for showing their locations. (E.G. I want to see where everyone is on the 13/01/21, in a map view using markers)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let anonymous users view the Search results in SP2019 on-prem modern (communication) site. Currently just shows blank.

Anonymous users of SP2019 on-premises modern communication site cannot see the search results, instead they just see the blank page (without even search and filter controls). But if they search via osssearchresults on the same site, they see the results perfectly fine.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow users to search pending status documents in SPO Library. search allows to only approved documents if that setting is enabled.

Allow users to search pending status documents in SharePoint Library. search allows to only approved documents if that setting is enabled.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Parse markdown files

Add markdown file parsing to SharePoint search. Right now it is not one of the default crawled file types:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/technical-reference/default-crawled-file-name-extensions-and-parsed-file-types

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Vues number on Homepage of a Sharepoint communication site.

I think it would be nice to be able to see the vues number on Homepage of a Sharepoint communication site.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A little bug in the Statistics of a Sharepoint Communication site

I think I have found a bug in the Statistics of a Sharepoint Communication site: I have a bilingual site, but when I extract the Statistics, I only see the number of views for the Homepage in a language, not the second one. I think this bug should be resolved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Searched items to open in the same page as the search list on Communication sites

I think it would be nice, when we are on a Sharepoint Communication Site and we make a research: we see a list of subjects found, when we click on any of these subjects, they should open in the same page as the whole list. This option was active on the ancient Sharepoint sites and it allowed us to click the back button.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Search queries logging for security purposes

It would be great to be able to log the SharePoint searches performed by users to use them for security purposes. Example: If I search for multiple sensitive keywords in a SharePoint site in a short period of time, it could reflect the activity of a malicious person trying to find and access sensitive data.
    If such user search queries logs could be sent to O365 SCC/Audit Log and MCAS, if would help building such use cases and raise alerts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow external users to use the search option

When we share folders from our sharepoint to external users, the search bar is not visible, which makes it very difficult for the user to search for specific files we have shared. Some of our folders we share can have 100s of files which is very frustrating for them. This goes both ways, when we receive files shared by an external source we cannot search the folders.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow multi-select of search results and bulk download or share

The current search results seem very limiting in terms of user functionality. We would like the option for a user to select multiple search results (files) and download them all in one go. Also, the ability to share one or many of the search results directly from the results page to multiple email addresses (adding in a link expiry date too would be good) as well as to 'copy the link' so you can send it to someone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Auto generated Query suggestions for all SharePoint site

Auto generated Query suggestions do not work on classic SharePoint online sites.
    Please make it to work as described in current documentation.

This what I have received from MS support:
    The query suggestion is feature is available in both Classic and Modern SharePoint searches. But as of now the this is enabled only in SharePoint Home (landing page) as it is a tenant-wide feature.
    As of of it does not fit well within smaller specific sharepoint sites like it is the case of many Classic Sites and Search Web parts.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Find MS Stream video in sharepoint search results

When I search for a video in Sharepoint it would be nice if I get a result from existing videos in microsoft stream.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improve search experience when searching for people

When you start typing a person's name in the search box, please automatically show a list of users whose name matches the name typed (similar to how search works in Teams). This is how our search bar works in our classic site and when we transition to modern, we will get a lot of complaints about searching for people from the modern search bar.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make it possible to clear the search term from the box

At present, after finishing searching, it is not possible to clear the search term from the box (the "x" has no effect). If I want to continue using SharePoint in its file manager function, I have to click on the "SharePoint" at top left and go down the directory tree again. Clicking "x" should clear the box properly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow anonymous users to show search results in SharePoint 2019 (on-premises) Modern Search

I have a SharePoint server 2019 (on-premises) Communication site (Modern UI). I have set anonymous access. Anonymous users can view all pages. when I search it does not redirect to the search page. On the other hand, I just have to check the results in a classic search. And the results show up for anonymous users. Please allow anonymous users to show search results.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)