SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. About the search box on the upper left of the modern UI [site page]

User wants to search list items in the search box on the upper left of the [site page] for modern UI.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable "Mapping to crawled properties" option for OOTB Refinable managed Properties In O365

Currently option to change the "mapping to crawled properties" settings is not editable for Refinable Managed Properties provided OOTB in O365.

It would be nice to have the property enabled so that we can include content from first crawled property that is not empty. This would solve the problem of having multiple values issues in Managed properties while consuming them .

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Consolidate to one effective search function

There are at least three search functions in SharePoint online today and none of them are very good and turning up results that are usable. Users want a single search function accessible everyone within Office 365 that turns up accurate results like a google search would. The current search experiences are not friendly by return a bunch of garbage results that do not apply to what is needed.

For example: I want to search "Employee Change Form" and get the employee change form - not every single employee change form that has ever been filled out listed by last modified…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Basic icons don't show up properly in Search results

Icons like ZIP or even MSG don't show up properly in Search Results. Could you please add them to the result templates ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. show preview of image on sharepoint search result

Show preview of image file in sharepoint search result, when image location is a document library

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Redirect link for modern search in modern team sites to classic search center

Hello. Can you please add a redirect link to the modern team sites, as well as the classic team sites with modern page experience, that the users can also use the classic search center which is customizable to fit the users’ needs?
    You have already added a redirect link to the classic search center within the document libraries when you search for something. But this link is not everywhere available in a modern team site.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove pagination in search results

why limit search results and break them down into pages? You cannot quickly access pages with a higher number, nor do you know how many search results there are - giving you no indication whatsoever of the amount of pages I might have to trawl through.

Pagination in people search results is especially frustrating.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow easier management of the trimduplicates setting

When we search for content, we often (some might say "usually") need to see all results for our search query. It seems that by default, trimduplicates is set to true in SharePoint Online. This seems to be true in the search Web Parts and in the search API.

My suggestion is that we have far better and clearer ways to manage this setting, including:
    * An easy toggle in the Content Search Web Part (CSWP)
    * A clear way on the search results pages to choose to show duplicates where there are any. This was present in earlier versions of…

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Use Display Templates when rendering results on SharePoint Home

At the top of the SharePoint Home page (_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx) is a search box. The items shown as a result of using that search box do not respect any configured Display Templates.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Modern Sites] Search within Document Library should search recursively

When a users search from a Document Library only the current level will be search. This should include documents from the subfolder too, or the ability to search down the tree.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Populate "Recent Views in last x Months" -properties in SharePoint Search

I recently noticed, that SharePoint Search has very handy managed properties, that list view counts over last few days, weeks and months. Quite a few of these work - but "Recent Views in last x Months" (1, 2 or 3 months) does not. They simply return null (not even 0).

I confirmed this with Microsoft Support (#30126-6369865), and they confirmed it's broken. It's reported to engineering, but according to support it will not be fixed unless people on UserVoice seem to deem this fix as necessary.

This sounds like a weird method for bugfixing.. But in any case, I'd really…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Implement Synonyms / Thesaurus in SharePoint Online

The ability to create a thesaurus of synonyms is invaluable, and exists in on-premises SharePoint but not SPO, this should be remedied.

Customers use the Search Thesaurus feature for many scenarios: to map acronyms to their expanded terms, to provide relevant results when companies merge or are acquired, to map corporate vocabularies to "plain English," and many more.

This would also make it possible to allow "Other Labels" including alternate languages in a Term Set to also be treated as synonyms in search results, which IIRC is the way it works on-premises but it also seems we've lost the ability…

221 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add the ability to search draft items and have it accurately security trimmed.

Currently draft items are not searchable in SharePoint 2013, I don't think this has changed in 2016 or online. If you have a library with half published items and half draft items, it would be very helpful to have the default behavior allow editors to search through draft items while readers only search production items.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Document Libraries limited to 5000 items?!? Welcome to 1985. Not a viable solution.

Unsure how a product with such touted feature sets can have a 5000 document library search limit. Isn't this backed by MS SQL Server & not MS Access? Inexcusable. Had to switch to different vendor product and ditch SharePoint.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reindex User Profiles option

When crawling user profiles there is no control over when crawls happen or when changed details are picked up. When changing Managed Properties you never know when these changes are applied as user profiles aren't changed and therefore continuous crawls will not run.

I propose that an option to reindex user profiles is added to Office 365/SharePoint Online so that all user profiles are reindexed during the next crawl. Similar to reindex list for lists and libraries in SharePoint.

More details:

https://veenstra.me.uk/2016/04/19/office-365-crawling-user-profiles-in-sharepoint-online/

267 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. If the content of the file cannot be indexed, the file still should be findable using its metadata (eg site columns)

In specific cases the crawling cannot crawl the contents of a file (eg specific pdfs while they open fine in PDF readers). Current behavior in SPO and in HCSSA is that such files are not indexed at all; not even by its metadata outside the file (such as title, columns). My suggestion is that in case files cannot be indexed on its contents, it still gets indexed based on its metadata.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Expand Functionality of SharePoint Online Term Store Other Labels

While the taxonomy term store "other labels" work for managing data entry, the usefulness of this is diminished by there being no corresponding functionality of these labels as synonyms of "default label" in search. There should be the option to set "other labels" to function as synonyms of "default label" in search, regardless of whether there also becomes available the ability to upload a thesaurus of synonyms separately. Expanding the function of "other labels" in this way would allow for a direct connection to content tagged with a "default label" whether a search includes a "default label" or any "other…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Listing all the sites

Currently, a user can only search the site if the user knows the name of the site or part of the name.
    When a new site is created a lot of times users doesn't remember the name. Also, the site is not listed in the frequent or suggested sites.

I think, it would be useful if a list is displayed which contains all the sites that user has access to across the farm (not limiting to a particular site collection).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a the capability to index DWG files and DGN files.

Autodesk AutoCAD DWG and Bentley Microstation DGN files are the primary file formats used to store and disseminate design information and plans between business partners working on civil engineering, landscape architecture, planning, and transportation projects.

Many AEC firms use SharePoint Team sites as centralized points for these types of projects, but unfortunately, these files, which often contain a lot of text information, cannot be indexed and searched.
    Autodesk and Bentley are major technology firms that already partner with Microsoft, please collaborate on a solution!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Customizing new search boxes

I have some comments on search boxes on the left side of the screen viewed after clicking "SharePoint" from app launcher.
    I can find with ease on which sites searched items are shown, but I can't customize the "items on some specified sites” and so on just like I used to do for classic search boxes.
    I am able to customize classic search boxes, but I have a difficulty in looking for the items and I can't find the sites for items.
    I request that I am able to make a search of items I look for by narrowing them…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 9 11 13 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base