SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. If the content of the file cannot be indexed, the file still should be findable using its metadata (eg site columns)

In specific cases the crawling cannot crawl the contents of a file (eg specific pdfs while they open fine in PDF readers). Current behavior in SPO and in HCSSA is that such files are not indexed at all; not even by its metadata outside the file (such as title, columns). My suggestion is that in case files cannot be indexed on its contents, it still gets indexed based on its metadata.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand Functionality of SharePoint Online Term Store Other Labels

While the taxonomy term store "other labels" work for managing data entry, the usefulness of this is diminished by there being no corresponding functionality of these labels as synonyms of "default label" in search. There should be the option to set "other labels" to function as synonyms of "default label" in search, regardless of whether there also becomes available the ability to upload a thesaurus of synonyms separately. Expanding the function of "other labels" in this way would allow for a direct connection to content tagged with a "default label" whether a search includes a "default label" or any "other…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Listing all the sites

Currently, a user can only search the site if the user knows the name of the site or part of the name.
    When a new site is created a lot of times users doesn't remember the name. Also, the site is not listed in the frequent or suggested sites.

I think, it would be useful if a list is displayed which contains all the sites that user has access to across the farm (not limiting to a particular site collection).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a the capability to index DWG files and DGN files.

Autodesk AutoCAD DWG and Bentley Microstation DGN files are the primary file formats used to store and disseminate design information and plans between business partners working on civil engineering, landscape architecture, planning, and transportation projects.

Many AEC firms use SharePoint Team sites as centralized points for these types of projects, but unfortunately, these files, which often contain a lot of text information, cannot be indexed and searched.
    Autodesk and Bentley are major technology firms that already partner with Microsoft, please collaborate on a solution!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Customizing new search boxes

I have some comments on search boxes on the left side of the screen viewed after clicking "SharePoint" from app launcher.
    I can find with ease on which sites searched items are shown, but I can't customize the "items on some specified sites” and so on just like I used to do for classic search boxes.
    I am able to customize classic search boxes, but I have a difficulty in looking for the items and I can't find the sites for items.
    I request that I am able to make a search of items I look for by narrowing them…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remove the sync link from a library

As an administrator I want to be able to remove the "sync this library to your computer" option from the library tool bar on the sharepoint library site to prevent users from syncing a library locally.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make the Search scopes appear in the Search Box of the new Experience design

In the new Experience UI, the search box with the scopes selector, in the top right-hand corner, disappeared.

The new search box on the left hand side should provide, at least, the same UX.

Users get lost...

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The customer want sort the search results by drop box

The customer want sort the search results by drop box ,but there is not this function on SharePoint Online team site search results page.
    Because the search results page(osssearchresults.aspx) can not be edited.
    The customer is feeling inconvenience for that and hopes add this function to the seach results page(osssearchresults.aspx).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow immediate (re) indexing for specific items

Within search driven applications, actual values of columns within items are critical for users. Imagine a task, shown search driven in my open tasks. If user completes the task on the list, user will expect, that this tasks are not shown in the above mentioned my open tasks.

Therefore allow immediate (re) indexing for specific items (like tasks) - possibly configurable. This actually was possible with SP2010 server side code.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search should find site home pages!

I should be able to put metadata on pages in SharePoint and use search to find them via that metadata--always.

I want to create page directories for users by which I can configure the user experience to search and find the pages that I flag with a given property ("Germany" or "mobile" for example). However, Microsoft Support (Service request #SRX616021594549282ID) confirms to me that if a page is flagged as the home page of a site, it can no longer be searched and found via metadata.

This is astonishing--that a page disappears from search (via metadata) when a user flags…

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Can't view all search results in modern document library

I love the search in the modern document libraries, however there are some issues displaying results when the search is too broad.

If a user types a keyword search in the top left-hand corner, then clicks "see more results", they will often get the message "no items match your search" despite just seeing some results in short list below the search box.

The error should either be "there are too many results", or the results should be split into pages.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Index PDF files metadata

I use SharePoint Online. While PDF files are indexed, I can’t query on their metadata such as subject and keywords.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. The customer want sort the search results by drop box

The customer want sort the search results by drop box ,but there is not this function on SharePoint Online team site search results page.
    Because the search results page(osssearchresults.aspx) can not be edited.
    The customer is feeling inconvenience for that and hopes add this function to the seach results page(osssearchresults.aspx).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search Reports

I get the following search queries from SharePoint admin center - [Search] - [View Usage Reports] - [Search Reports].

and(EditorOwsUser:"i:0#.f|membership|user@domain.com", and(not(HideFromDelve:"1"), not(OnHold:"1"), not(Path:"tag://public/?NAME="), or(FileExtension:or(aspx, html, htm), SecondaryFileExtension:or(aspx, html, htm), FileType:or(aspx, html, htm), ContentTypeId:0x010100DA3A7E6E3DB34DFF8FDEDE1F4EBAF95D), not(or(ContentClass:or(STSListItem850, STSListItemWebPageLibrary, STSListItemLinks, STSListItemTasks, STSListItemTasksWithTimelineAndHierarchy, STSListItemGanttTasks, STSListItemEvents, STSListItemAnnouncements, STSListItemContacts, STSListItemSurvey, STSListItemDiscussionBoard, STSListItemIssueTracking, STSListItemXMLForm, STSListItemPosts, STSListItemComments, STS_Web), FileExtension:or(xlsx,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Need "Is Not Empty" / "Is Empty" on Search Query Rule

Wanted to display items when certain field is not empty.
    If possible please share us why it's not implemented?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability for case insensitive result set ordering in SharePoint Online

At this moment a result set of a search query is ordered case sensitive. It would be great if this became case insensitive or perhaps with the possibility to choose between the two options

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Verb Stemming When Searching Sharepoint Sites

When searching a Sharepoint site, you currently must use the exact verb form used in the page you are looking for or the page will not appear in your search results. For example, if you search "Turning off x" by the article is titled "Turn off x", you will not see the article "Turn off x" in your search results.

Stemming the verb in the search would allow less precise searches to still return the expected results; a user seeking help would not think to search for the exact verb form used in a help article they have not found…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support SharePoint Multilingual Term Store

The search over SharePoint 2013 columns based on "Multilingual Term Store" does not work correctly.
    Currently the crawler only retrieves values of the site's default languange in columns of type "Managed Metadata". Alternative languages are not retrieved.
    Thus the search only returns results for queries that match the default language. Matches with alternative translations are not taken into account.
    We wish to see this in the next release!

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The current SharePoint Search doesnt handle search miss-spelling (i.e. Typos). To enable this we need to upload predefined set of miss-spell

The current SharePoint Search doesn't handle search miss-spelling (i.e. Typos) using did you mean option. To enable this we need to upload predefined set of miss-spelling. I expect SharePoint to buildup these terms dynamically like google or any standard search engine does.

208 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. enable searching within doc libraries and folders

I would like to be able to narrow my search to a specific document library or folder so that the search returns results only from the doc library or folder and any folders or subfolders below them.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base