SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Index Geolocation columns for retrieval in SharePoint search.

SharePoint search does not index Geolocation columns for retrieval.

Please add Geolocation type columns to the search index so we can easily return in a search query.

While lat/long wouldn't be useful for keyword search, indexing the column would enable a new generation of location based search visualizations.

Given Geolocation is already influencing search results (distance sorting), why can't users mine this data from crawled properties in the search index?

The current workaround of using dedicated lat/long columns for indexing undermines the usefulness of the Geolocation column type. Use cases seeking to aggregate locations are forced to store data redundantly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Unhide the scroll bar

When I search for an item in a modern list, this message "Expand search to all items on this site" hides the scroll bar and I'm unable to scroll to the right on Windows machines. This is very annoying for the users. Please hide it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Fix search so doesnt take days to index content

Fix search so doesnt take days to index content

the current system is beyond terrible. I cant believe how bad it is, and that Microsoft actually rolled this out like this.

Im waiting days for content to be indexed so I can use it with refiners. Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. API/Powershell for SharePoint Search analytics/reports

For manual download the OOTB SharePoint reports from SP admin page- SharePoint Online admin portal> Search> Search Reports.
    Multiple reports available OOTB, but no API/Powershell available for Search Analytics, by which we can export custom Search reports or we can schedule the download of OOTB reports Monthly.

Provide API/Powershell for managing/automating SharePoint Search reports.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Display Sites in Search by Both Its Current and Former Name and/or Suggest Sites

Team and department names change from time to time and it's hard to find sites that have recently changed their name. If you could present the current name prominently and it's former name as an auxiliary title for 60-90 days to help people find them it would be very useful. It might be best to give the Site Collection Admin the option of whether or not the former name should should be shared when they make the change.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improve the behavior that reloading the search result when opening a file after searching SharePoint Online library

I request not to reload the search result page when searching and sorting Office files, such as Word documents in the SharePoint Online library. Because if I click a file to open on Internet Explorer 11 in document mode 10 by using Windows 7 PCs, search page would be reloaded and results are disappeared.

For Windows 10 PCs, the page wouldn’t be reloaded if I selected Name (linked to document with edit menu) as Column name in Settings, Edit View. I would request the same behavior for using Windows 7 PC.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Teach sharepoint search to recognise telephone numbers in images

When searching for a number sequence (for example a telephone number) a user will not know the exact formatting of that number in the images. As a result searching for numbers with irregular formatting is next to impossible or very hard on the sharepoint farm.

An example. An image is uploaded with telephone numbers in the format 123 456 7890. Not knowing where the spaces are used in the scanned document the user searches for 1234567890. The user could use wildcards between each number 123456789*0 but that would hurt sharepoint performance.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to open document either by web browser or local application when searching.

Option to open document either by web browser or local application when searching.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sharepoint should inform on Indexing Status.

I reindexed a sharepoint online site I created. Once I pressed the button it did not confirm it was carrying out indexing. Also, according to the microsoft support guy that called me, it does not report when it has finished indexing.

This process should be a bit more transparent and provide feedback.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Search bar

Add a search bar on the home page for searching documents posted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give option for search on _layouts/15/viewlsts.aspx to function as normal search

Using the search at the top left of the site contents page has a filtering impact on the contents and subsites listings. This functionality is a complete divergence from the search experience in other parts of SharePoint. There should be a way to send all search boxes to the same search results page, instead of this rather confusing setup.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Open file location in modern search

Sharepoint search desperately needs the equivalents of Windows' "Open file location". It's fantastic that sharepoint search shows the path of files found in Sites, but sometimes I want to see the folder the file is in, not the file itself. Surely an easy thing to implement?

Thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This article, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-search-in-Office-365-b81ab573-ec9c-4aa9-a369-b3c630f878a7, gives an overview of the search user interface and points out where to click to go to the site or folder a file is in. If you click the site link, you’ll be taken to the folder that the file is in on that site.

Let us know if this doesn’t cover what you’d like to do, or if you have ideas for making the experience even better.

13. Add CSOM support for setting Search visibility settings

The setting "Always index all Web Parts on this site", is not yet exposed trough CSOM.

This setting can be found in site settings > Search and Offline Availability > Indexing ASPX Page Content

This is usefull when using sites with broken permissions, which are then not indexed as needed.

Please add this functionality to CSOM.
    It is this property: web.ASPXPageIndexMode = WebASPXPageIndexMode.Always;

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide feedback on Search Results

Enable some mechanism that allows a consumer to provide feedback on the results they get in search (e.g. not getting expected results or feedback tied directly to a specific content item). General feedback would be routed to one place while content item level feedback would be automatically routed to the assigned author.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need to enhance reports beyond the current OOTB Popularity Trend report

The current report (Popularity Trend reports) is inadequate. Need basic report generation for the following data with user defined time range daily, weekly, monthly etc):
    a. Total unique user views of wiki articles per subsite
    b. Total unique user views per article
    c. 0235Search Effectiveness (How many searches before content is viewed by an user)
    d. List of articles by authoring and workflow status per subsite

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Search doesn't find things in many places that I think it should.

For example: The caption in an Image Gallery webpart, The caption in a Stream webpart, in page comments, in the twitter webpart. I think it is a valid use case for a user to want to find information from all of these places.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Search Button

Four our cable legal intranet it would be great if we could add a search button. I've been trying to locate a specific item and have had to click through several pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. search capabilities

we need a way to find previous articles on this site. I can't seem to find a way to go back to previous communications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)