SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

enable searching within doc libraries and folders

I would like to be able to narrow my search to a specific document library or folder so that the search returns results only from the doc library or folder and any folders or subfolders below them.

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Malone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joran Markx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a document library. It seems to work well for small libraries. But when you have a lot of items in the library, the "search as you type" does work, but pressing Enter will result in an empty resultset. Just as David commented.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comments so far are not suitable for end users though?

The current document library search is poor IMO. Especially if a document library has more than 5000 items. At present if there are more than 5000 items in a library the search can sometimes return zero results. This is because the search is actually filtering the items and as we all know the View Limit Threshold causes this to fail. :-(

• Mridu Agarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can also create a result source and use query builder to build your query which acts like scope.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already possible using a Content Search Web Part, and specifying the path that you want results from. There are lots of articles online on how to do it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base