I suggest you ....

Allow easier management of the trimduplicates setting

When we search for content, we often (some might say "usually") need to see all results for our search query. It seems that by default, trimduplicates is set to true in SharePoint Online. This seems to be true in the search Web Parts and in the search API.

My suggestion is that we have far better and clearer ways to manage this setting, including:
* An easy toggle in the Content Search Web Part (CSWP)
* A clear way on the search results pages to choose to show duplicates where there are any. This was present in earlier versions of SharePoint, and I'm not sure when it was removed.

Deciding when duplicates are appropriate is a complex thing, and it varies greatly by use case. Giving people setting up SharePoint pages simpler control over the setting will both help build compelling user experiences on the platform and help confirm that search is indeed working properly. When someone searches for something they know is there and it doesn't show up in search results, it undermines faith in the entire platform.

22 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sympmarcsympmarc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...