SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Partial word search by default (no requirement for wildcard)

I worked with Microsoft support to create a new search scope that included the wildcard for every entry at the top level site. We applied this template as the default and it works when searching at the top level site. However, it does not apply when searching within a Document library that resides at the same level as the parent. Ultimately, we do not want to require a wildcard for every partial search. If someone wants to find instructions in our library for GoToMeeting they should be able to find it by simply entering Goto.

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Admin, this functionality already works at the site home page level across all document libraries on that site, but not when you're on a single document library?

Can you explain the logic behind this?

• Kristi L Robison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please reconsider implementing this, it's laughable that it's not possible without some 3rd party utility. It's difficult to keep a straight face when trying to defend this to clients.

• Dan Gøran Lunde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's possible to implement this functionality via query rules. Create a query rule that rewrites all queries to

{searchTerms} OR {searchTerms}*

I would not suggest implementing this, however. Adding a synonym is a much better option to fix your anecdotal example.

Previous versions of Outlook did in fact translate all queries into wildcard queries exactly like you suggest. It was absolutely impossible to find anything. Completely useless. Search is about balancing precision vs. recall. Converting all queries wildcard queries maximizes recall, but it destroys the precision.

• Stephen Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And further to my previous comment it should then show

goto*
    5 results including
    "GoToMeeting" (2)
    ".../link.aspx?Gotopage=5&..." (2)
    more...

and lets have the terms linked to searches for just that term. to narrow down the results.

(glad I'm not coding this though : )

• Stephen Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An idea for an enhancement or extension of this would be to prompt the user with a button that adds the wildcard at the end, so

goto
    0 results <expand search>
    (click <expand search>)
    (adds wildcard)

goto*
    3 results ...

Feedback and Knowledge Base