SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Modern Search - Provide option to change scope from local to global

Current modern search in communication/modern team site defaults to local scope and search results are from the current site. Users has to click on the SharePoint link from breadcrumb in order to expand the search scope across sites.

Most of our customers prefer to search on the broader scope rather than searching on the current site, esply. for the Communication sites.

29 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently looking at building out our new intranet on Sharepoint Online. We may have multiple hubs in our new intranet (e.g. Corporate hub, People hub, Finance hub, etc.) yet it will be the intranet homepage that people expect to be able to search EVERYTHING. So although in most cases a Local search will be expected, for an intranet homepage we should really be able to do a global search - INCLUDING people results.

• Donia Strand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us, it would be most useful to start off with the local search results - if someone is looking for an HR document in the HR site, best for the search to keep them there - BUT, if the user did not find what they need, perhaps they could be presented with an option to "Search All SharePoint Sites" (SharePoint Home Search)

• Lam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have materials related to the similar subject on all site collections, also in local network. we have configure the hybrid search to surface the local network search results on SP online search center. So it will be very helpful to enable global search by default, or have settings to change

• Örjan Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My thoughts and question around this topic can be found here. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Using-search-in-modern-sites/m-p/176889

Adding the text here:

Without getting a complete answer (what the future will bring) I can see from earlier posts that people have asked if it’s possible to change/configure default search in a modern Communication Site? Example of this would be to send the query to a custom search page. After search input you are redirected to a standard search page (_layouts/15/search.aspx). Will there be any support for changing this behavior? I have tried with different search settings, both on Site and SiteCollection level without any result.

Reason for my question is that I have a customer that have invested heavily within the Enterprise Search templates. There is a lot of query rules, display templates, search verticals and refinements. From a classic Team Site there is an option to search (via search input box) for Everything (it's also possible to configure this URL on tenant level to a custom search center).

Customer would like to use the new communication site as a landing page but it’s important to keep the classic Enterprise Search as default for “site” search, also from modern sites (or optionally).

With this option it would be much easier to combine a common search behavior when you have good mix of classic and modern team/collaboration sites. Is there perhaps a plan to “deprecate” the classic Enterprise Search functionality and this is the reason for not being able to reconfigure the search?

Would an option be to build a custom header (with help of SharePoint Framework Extension) that implements a custom search box? Follow up question is how you easiest could remove the original search box in that case? Most flexible solution would be to implement support for the search box to make use of the search settings like the classic input search.

Any input around this topic would be appreciated :-)

• Mikael Svenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the olden days of SharePoint, we could configure where the search box sent you for results. More often than not, it was reconfigured to send you to the Enterprise search center instead of osssearchresults.aspx - because a broader resultset often helps. A user might not see the difference from a search box on a site vs a search box on SharePoint Home or Office.com.

Some times we scoped results to the site, with a clear indication to see all, sometimes we boosted content from the originating site.

Of course in the olden days of pre-modern we also had a search box above each library/list, which clearly was scoped to this library/list.

The ideal scenario would be to allow us to use the search settings per site to set where we want the search to be sent to - and having the default as is just fine. Now the search setting just sits there being totally ignored by modern search.

You might think the "Search this site" help text in the box is super obvious, but there is no good way to expand the search from local to global if a user wants this - sending the user to SharePoint Home, which is effectively the new Enterprise Search center is quite helpful indeed.

I know this might sound vague, so please let me know if I need to elaborate further.

Feedback and Knowledge Base