SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ....

Ability to crawl sites without Windows Authentication

I would like to be able to configure only Trusted Identity provider on a default zone and still be able to crawl it.

i know that right now im able to crawl non-deafult zone and then create server site mappings, but this causing a lot o disadvantages.
There is also possibility to crawl default zone and extend Web application to provide SAML logon, but then there are also problems like Deafult-zone url's in e-mails, problem with showing feeds on mysites etc...

Maybe a different solution would be to have search dedicated zone, that would act exactly as crawling default one?

21 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wojtek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benjamin Athawes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Russ Maxwell blogged about this. I think you can set /_trust/ as the custom sign in page for the default zone, which negates the need for an additional zone. I've briefly tested this solution and it appears to work. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/russmax/archive/2014/10/31/bypassing-multiple-authentication-providers-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Nonetheless, it would be nice for this to "just work", rather than having to implement this slightly obscure workaround.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully aggree this as a needed requrement, especially as the workaround using AAM with a dedicated Crawl-zone is not really functional/usable (we've struggled ´this with SP2010 and again with on new issues around this in 2013) , i cannot understand why Microsoft does not implement a functionally for the Crawling OOTB.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I agree. But I do not understand why in times of federated authentication Search does not support saml login to a SharePoint web application. In future Enterprise Search scenaries there might also be other search sources which only allow for federated authentication.
        And all two Workarounds you mention are pretty inconvenient as they both have their drawbacks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base