SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Make "Search in all content" available even if the search returns results

"Search for xyz in all content" link only shows up when there's no results. Users cannot expand their search to include all content if they can't find what they're looking for. The only workaround is to search for something that will return no results so the users can search all content. Users complain the search experience in SPO isn't as useful as earlier versions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search Criteria Should Add Export to Excel

Before on On-Premise SharePoint, a search option criteria has an option to Export To Excel in the library. Hopefully this can be added in SharePoint Online.

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Viewing items in the Content Search Web part

In the Content Search Web part, it takes few hours for updated items to be searchable.
    So, I would like to ask the search functionality improvement that items would be searched with the immediate index reconfiguration right after items are updated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Set search scope from the search box

It'd be handy for users to be able to change the scope of searches conveniently before submitting a query (e.g. a drop-down option in the search box to toggle between Search | Search this site | Search [within this Document Library])

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Index Geolocation columns for retrieval in SharePoint search.

SharePoint search does not index Geolocation columns for retrieval.

Please add Geolocation type columns to the search index so we can easily return in a search query.

While lat/long wouldn't be useful for keyword search, indexing the column would enable a new generation of location based search visualizations.

Given Geolocation is already influencing search results (distance sorting), why can't users mine this data from crawled properties in the search index?

The current workaround of using dedicated lat/long columns for indexing undermines the usefulness of the Geolocation column type. Use cases seeking to aggregate locations are forced to store data redundantly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix search so doesnt take days to index content

Fix search so doesnt take days to index content

the current system is beyond terrible. I cant believe how bad it is, and that Microsoft actually rolled this out like this.

Im waiting days for content to be indexed so I can use it with refiners. Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Search doesn't find things in many places that I think it should.

For example: The caption in an Image Gallery webpart, The caption in a Stream webpart, in page comments, in the twitter webpart. I think it is a valid use case for a user to want to find information from all of these places.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Search web part

Include search field also when left navigation is not visible

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Portal Search

It would be beneficial to be able to search the entire site/portal. I cannot find a location on the site/portal to do this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Search Bar

When we have large lists of contacts like this it would be great to have a search bar, is this possible?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The Current SharePoint Search Results Display of description cannot be modified.In results,Its picking up any random line from the document

In search results description,search is picking random line from the dcoument description instead of first line of the document.and we cannot modify this.This should be modifiable to make the search result more relevant.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Actionable query logs for zero hits

Query logs should be actionable. When reviewing a query log for search terms that result in 0 hits, we need should have the ability to add a synonym to fix the 0 result.

Use cases:
    E.g. assume that the zero hits query log is sorted by frequency. And at the top you have:

monthly report power point

As an admin I should have the possibility to add a synonym here. To map power point -> powerpoint, ppt ,pptx, presentation, ...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow more search items

In SPO, you allow only small amounts of items to be seen in a search.

I need to be able to see more than 100 or move in 20s during searches.
    We need options for like 500, 1000, or 2000 for datasets. I have a powerful machine and I need to be more productive.

Here's an example. US Treasury uses SP but look at how painful it is to use the tools, https://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/financial-stability/reports/Pages/reports.aspx

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Select search results checkbox

Allow global search results to be selected and actionable. e.g I search site for "thumbs.db" and i get 100 results. I cannot delete them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I am looking for option to export list to excel under "People and group"

I am looking for option to export list to excel under "People and group" tab to find out how many people having access to particular group and over all SharePoint site.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Has something changed in regards to Search Suggestions for SharePoint Online?

Recently we noticed our list of search suggestions are not appearing as individuals enter search terms, that normally trigger the search suggestions to appear, in our SharePoint online search query input boxes. Has something changed with Search suggestions?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sharepoint should have column that mimics Windows Explorer column labeled "Title".

Windows Explorer has optional column "Title". Regardless of filetype metadata "Title" can be edited and associated with files. This "Title" is very important in identifying files which may have coded filenames. I am surprised that SharePoint does not have an easy answer for extracting Windows Explorer metadata such as "Title".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Termstore Company Inclusions - Theres no easy way of bulk uploading a company list to this taxonomy

Like you can import a termset from a csv, theres no easy way of bulk updating the company inclusions/exclusions list in the search dictionary of the metadata termset,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. No Control on the Search Analytics

No Control on the Search Analytics, reports don't show the query text which was searched earlier day.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Consolidate to one effective search function

There are at least three search functions in SharePoint online today and none of them are very good and turning up results that are usable. Users want a single search function accessible everyone within Office 365 that turns up accurate results like a google search would. The current search experiences are not friendly by return a bunch of garbage results that do not apply to what is needed.

For example: I want to search "Employee Change Form" and get the employee change form - not every single employee change form that has ever been filled out listed by last modified…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 8 10 12 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base