SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Remove the sync link from a library

As an administrator I want to be able to remove the "sync this library to your computer" option from the library tool bar on the sharepoint library site to prevent users from syncing a library locally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Index PDF files metadata

I use SharePoint Online. While PDF files are indexed, I can’t query on their metadata such as subject and keywords.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Wishing the specified documents within the Delve's "Recent Documents" of my own and around me" to be non-displayed

I don't need the specified documents within the Delve's "Recent Documents" and "Search the users' documents of my own and around me" to be displayed along with admin's setting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Wishing the specified documents within the Delve's "Recent Documents" and "Search the users' documents of my own and around me" to be non-di

I don't need the specified documents within the Delve's "Recent Documents" and "Search the users' documents of my own and around me" to be displayed along with admin's setting

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create search result source from RESTful endpoint

It would be great to be able to create a result source from a REST endpoint that returns the results in a JSON data set. This would potentially make it easier to federate other systems into SharePoint search (for example, Wikimedia - does not fully implement ODATA endpoint as ATOM formatted, but it does have the ability to return JSON results - which could be templated into a JSON item type display template and mapped to fields of the results)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. need index data to be shared with windows when using mapped drive to SharePoint online

need to be able to use the search function within windows explorer with mapped drives. This would improve the functionality and would ease the transition of on premise file servers to office 365 and SharePoint online

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Search Query Rule "Contains" keyword not working as expected for SipAddress property

I wanted to display people item when SipAddress contains some value. If I use "Contains" keyword, it is behaving as "Equals" keyword. This is occurring for SipAddress property.
    Please check.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide ability to search ALL services available in O365

SPO search should be able find any content created by a service available in O365, i.e., Sway, PowerBI, Project, PowerApps etc. SPO admins should be able to additional content sources from these other services and the results should be made available through the SP Search web parts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Document links in the Display Template and Hovercard should be identical for PDF search results (they are not)

When PDF files appear in search results, the link to the file in the Display Template includes the #search=myTerm parameter, while the OPEN link in the Hovercard does not. Therefore when the file opens in a PDF viewer, one will display inline search results while the other does not. This results in an inconsistent user experience being reported as an issue by users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove the 500 item limit in sitemap.xml

In SharePoint 2016 there's a scheduled job that auto-generates a sitemap (sitemap.xml -> sitemap0.xml and sitemap_mobile0.xml) which should be an index of all the pages/content in your site (very useful on public facing sites and for submitting to Google and Bing).

However, it turns out there's a 500 item limit on this. MS obviously thought no one would ever have more than 500 items on a public facing website...

Please remove this limit, or at least have it configurable.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/47270c9c-b004-4c56-822c-8464c141aea2/why-is-there-a-500-page-limit-in-sharepoint-2013-xml-sitemaps?forum=sharepointadmin

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Hello, i am using file server in my company and i need to configure Enterprise Search in Office 365 to fetch record from File server as a d

Hello,
    i am using file server in my company and i need to configure Enterprise Search in Office 365 to fetch record from File server as a data source.
    Please give me the Idea , How to do it .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable search results as OData stream that is readable by Excel/PowerBI

Especially when having content of a certain type spread over multiple webs and sites, search provides a good way to aggregate this information, e.g. get all risks tracked in all project sites. It would be great if these results could be exposed as Odata stream to be directly integrated in the reporting tool of your choice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Default contextual scoping till current library/list level rather than current site

I would like either ability to have automatic contextual scoping till library/list level in sharepoint main search or search within list/library should sort results based on search relevance not sorted based on name. By sorting search results based on name within library search it doesnt make sense because relevant document is displayed at the very bottom if its name dies start from initial alphabet letters (a,b,c, ..)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Find Office 365 Groups in Search

Find relevant Office 365 Groups in the search. Now that the SharePoint homepage has been updated it is almost impossible to find some Groups to follow. (Also, the follow feature does not seem to be working.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SharePoint Home activity page - show libraries as separate cards

Current behaviour lists activity within libraries under the main tenant card. If all libraries are attached to tenant site and not sub-sites, then all activity within all libraries constrained to 3 lines of text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Content Type and Site Column Naming

Naming of Content Types and Site Columns should not be Unique.
    As both content types and site columns are identified uniquely by CT Id and internal field name, it should be possible to give a display name for content type or site column, even if the display name is already in use.
    This way we can avoid al sorts of strangely named content types or fields, because of the current limitation, and still be able to use the different columns in the search schema

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix eDiscovery for MicroFeed data

When doing eDiscovery the result for MicroFeed data suffers a few flaws:
    - when a query returns a post, the preview for a post is useless for the human reader (the Display-Form of the MicroFeed-list is not equipped for that use)
    - when someone puts a hold on a post, he can't preserver the rest of the thread (formulating the extended query needed not possible, as the data model for the MicroFeed-List is not documented)
    - when exporting, the export is returned as CSV like for any other list; but as data model of teh Microfeed list is not documented,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In SharePoint Online, the search does not trim spaces at the end of search string for custom templates, resulting into "We dint find..".

If I am creating a list from custom template and the name of template is "Project", but while searching for template I type "Project ", it says "Not Found". I think that, those extra spaces in search string for custom templates, at the end, should be trimmed, resulting into robust search.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Busqueda de elementos en Calendarios de sitio sharepoint

Que un cuadro de búsqueda permita filtrar elementos introducidos en un Calendario porque ayudaría a usar 500 calendarios en sus 500 sitios

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 compliant OS configuration

Implement all hashing and cryptography functions to support and run on Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 compliant configured servers (security hardening).

Currently FIPS has to be disabled - otherwise secure store service and search service applications will not properly run.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base