SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Modern PeopleSearch Results

When using the wildcard (*) on Modern PeopleSearch results the mouse cursor is not changed to a vingerpointer when hoovering over the name or picture of a user. The item is clickable but the because the mouse cursor does not change it is confusing for users. Please update the result page so that the mouse cursor is changed.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SharePoint Online search connector to Azure Data Lake

This idea is to create a SharePoint Online search connector to Azure Data Lake. This should be similar to the file share connector we have in hybrid search, but connect directly from the SharePoint Online search engine to Azure Data Lake. This will allow us to include files stored in Azure Data Lake in the enterprise search solution.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase hit highlighted summary length / make configurable

Currently, the HitHighlightedSummary value is shows hits from the first 10,000 characters of a document. When the hits are not included in the summary, it pulls a summary from a seemingly random part of the document.

This limit seems arbitrarily low. Many of our documents hit the limit after the first 5 pages, which often include a lot of boilerplate. It's caused a lot of confusion for our users and during usability testing, many expressed a lack of confidence in the search results ("why am I getting this result, is it broken?").

This limit should be increased, and preferably configurable…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Hidden Search Box on upper right of the site page

Please make Search Box which on upper right of the site page can be hidden, otherwise user can use search function without authorization.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Verb Stemming When Searching Sharepoint Sites

When searching a Sharepoint site, you currently must use the exact verb form used in the page you are looking for or the page will not appear in your search results. For example, if you search "Turning off x" by the article is titled "Turn off x", you will not see the article "Turn off x" in your search results.

Stemming the verb in the search would allow less precise searches to still return the expected results; a user seeking help would not think to search for the exact verb form used in a help article they have not found…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Search from Cortana

I want to search files in SharePoint by Cortana.
    Like Cortana can search files in My PC and from Bing.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove pagination in search results

why limit search results and break them down into pages? You cannot quickly access pages with a higher number, nor do you know how many search results there are - giving you no indication whatsoever of the amount of pages I might have to trawl through.

Pagination in people search results is especially frustrating.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Searches should find exact matches to file name

Recently I've done an exact search by title to the file name (with and without the extension) and it's not found. It finds other documents and information from the parent site. Often they are not a good match and may only contain a small part of the search term. For instance, if I look for "alphabet soup" or "alphabet soup.doc" which exists on the sub-site where I'm searching, it finds "soup to nuts" and "learning the alphabet" on the parent site and other sub-sites, but not the document that has an exact match in the title.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the Search scopes appear in the Search Box of the new Experience design

In the new Experience UI, the search box with the scopes selector, in the top right-hand corner, disappeared.

The new search box on the left hand side should provide, at least, the same UX.

Users get lost...

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Site collection search when granting access permissions to users

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    サイト コレクションでユーザーにアクセス権限を付与する際の検索について
    Site collection search when granting access permissions to users

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Online のサイト コレクションにてユーザーにアクセス権限を付与する際の検索について、現状では前方一致のみで検索が行われるが、SharePoint 2010 などのように前方一致以外の検索も有効にして欲しい。
    Currently when searching SharePoint Online’s Site Collection while granting access permissions to users, the search is only done for matching prefixes. Please improve the search function so that it works like SharePoint 2010 where other search methods will be valid as well, not just prefix searching.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. API/Powershell for SharePoint Search analytics/reports

For manual download the OOTB SharePoint reports from SP admin page- SharePoint Online admin portal> Search> Search Reports.
    Multiple reports available OOTB, but no API/Powershell available for Search Analytics, by which we can export custom Search reports or we can schedule the download of OOTB reports Monthly.

Provide API/Powershell for managing/automating SharePoint Search reports.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. custom file extension

Allow adding/removing a file type to the search index in SharePoint online

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Use Display Templates when rendering results on SharePoint Home

At the top of the SharePoint Home page (_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx) is a search box. The items shown as a result of using that search box do not respect any configured Display Templates.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Listing all the sites

Currently, a user can only search the site if the user knows the name of the site or part of the name.
    When a new site is created a lot of times users doesn't remember the name. Also, the site is not listed in the frequent or suggested sites.

I think, it would be useful if a list is displayed which contains all the sites that user has access to across the farm (not limiting to a particular site collection).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Customizing new search boxes

I have some comments on search boxes on the left side of the screen viewed after clicking "SharePoint" from app launcher.
    I can find with ease on which sites searched items are shown, but I can't customize the "items on some specified sites” and so on just like I used to do for classic search boxes.
    I am able to customize classic search boxes, but I have a difficulty in looking for the items and I can't find the sites for items.
    I request that I am able to make a search of items I look for by narrowing them…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a search driven column type

It would be great to have a column type for lists or libraries that stores a search-query.
    In column settings you would create a query with a reference to the list-item (something like "author:{Item.Author} AND ContentType:Tasks").
    This way you could dynamically link content to a list item.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Regarding the search results sort order for lists in Sharepoint app

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    SharePoint アプリでのリストの検索結果の並び順について
    Regarding the search results sort order for lists in Sharepoint app

■Description(内容):
    リストで検索した場合、PC やモバイル端末のブラウザーでは、[リストの設定] から既定のビューの編集画面で [並べ替え] で指定した並び順にもとづいて検索結果が表示される。
    しかしながら、SharePoint アプリの場合、検索結果に該当するアイテムが、初期の設定である ID 順で表示される動作となる。
    この点について、PC などと表示順が異なるとアイテムの確認に手間がかかるため、PC などの動作と同様に、指定した並び順にもとづいて検索結果を表示させることができるようにしてほしい。
    When searching using a list, the search results are shown accordingly to what has been set in the Sort option in the List Settings for browsers on the PC and mobile devices.
    However for the Sharepoint app, search results are shown according to the default setting, which is ID.
    This ends up in using up time to check what results have been returned as the order is different from what…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. OneDrive Search should ONLY include OneDrive results by default

PLEASE limit OneDrive Search results to only show OneDrive content when searching from OneDrive. There can be an option to expand search results further, but we want the default results to be the person's OneDrive that they are searching from.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sort Blog Search Results by Modified Date

In WSS 3.0 (SharePoint 2007), when we searched a blog, it gave us the option to sort results by Relevance (the default) or by Modified Date. Now in SharePoint Online, when you search a blog, it gives you no sort options, but seems to list the search results in random order. This is a step backwards in my opinion. We need to be able to sort by Modified Date again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Modern Search Analytics

Please provide a way to gather analytics for the Modern Search. We are using Communication templates for our Intranet and need know what users are searching for.

An equivalent to what is available from the SharePoint Admin Center > Search > View Usage Reports.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base