SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

SharePoint Search

Welcome! This is your place to suggest ideas or vote for ideas for improving the SharePoint Search experience.

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

How to submit a new idea

1. Check if it's already been suggested. If it has, vote for it.
  2. If it's new, submit it in 50 words or less.
  3. Gather support!
  4. If your idea receives over 100 votes in 90 days, we will respond.
    If not, we will close it.

Want to engage further? Please visit the SharePoint Community

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Searches should find exact matches to file name

Recently I've done an exact search by title to the file name (with and without the extension) and it's not found. It finds other documents and information from the parent site. Often they are not a good match and may only contain a small part of the search term. For instance, if I look for "alphabet soup" or "alphabet soup.doc" which exists on the sub-site where I'm searching, it finds "soup to nuts" and "learning the alphabet" on the parent site and other sub-sites, but not the document that has an exact match in the title.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand Functionality of SharePoint Online Term Store Other Labels

While the taxonomy term store "other labels" work for managing data entry, the usefulness of this is diminished by there being no corresponding functionality of these labels as synonyms of "default label" in search. There should be the option to set "other labels" to function as synonyms of "default label" in search, regardless of whether there also becomes available the ability to upload a thesaurus of synonyms separately. Expanding the function of "other labels" in this way would allow for a direct connection to content tagged with a "default label" whether a search includes a "default label" or any "other…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Customizing new search boxes

I have some comments on search boxes on the left side of the screen viewed after clicking "SharePoint" from app launcher.
    I can find with ease on which sites searched items are shown, but I can't customize the "items on some specified sites” and so on just like I used to do for classic search boxes.
    I am able to customize classic search boxes, but I have a difficulty in looking for the items and I can't find the sites for items.
    I request that I am able to make a search of items I look for by narrowing them…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make the Search scopes appear in the Search Box of the new Experience design

In the new Experience UI, the search box with the scopes selector, in the top right-hand corner, disappeared.

The new search box on the left hand side should provide, at least, the same UX.

Users get lost...

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search from Cortana

I want to search files in SharePoint by Cortana.
    Like Cortana can search files in My PC and from Bing.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Parse markdown files

Add markdown file parsing to SharePoint search. Right now it is not one of the default crawled file types:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/technical-reference/default-crawled-file-name-extensions-and-parsed-file-types

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Regarding the SharePoint portal screen where user search is done

*English follows Japanese
    ■Title(件名):
    SharePoint ポータル上でユーザーを検索した際の画面について
    Regarding the SharePoint portal screen where user search is done

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Online ポータルの上部にある検索バーを使用してユーザーを検索すると表示されるユーザーの"自己紹介"の動作について次のように希望します。これまでは、"連絡先" に表示されるユーザーの "自己紹介" にマウスを合わせると、そのユーザーの自己紹介文が全文出ていたが、1月17日以降から現在まで表示されない。以前のように、画面を検索一覧から動かさないでユーザーの自己紹介の文章を確認できるようにしてほしい。​
    We hope that the "About Me" that is displayed when users are searched using the search bar at the top of the SharePoint Online portal can be changed in the following way. Up until now when users hover the mouse over the "About Me" part that is displayed in "Contacts", "About Me" information for that user will be shown, but this has not been shown ever since 17th of Janurary. We hope to be able to see…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sort Blog Search Results by Modified Date

In WSS 3.0 (SharePoint 2007), when we searched a blog, it gave us the option to sort results by Relevance (the default) or by Modified Date. Now in SharePoint Online, when you search a blog, it gives you no sort options, but seems to list the search results in random order. This is a step backwards in my opinion. We need to be able to sort by Modified Date again.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pls add paging to the highlighted content webpart (hcwp)

We are about to build a search-driven Intranet with Communication Sites. Today we found out that there is a limit to the items shown in a hcwp, but we need it to be able to show all results found. A user must be able to "scroll" oder "page" through all content found by a managed property filter used in the hcwp. A hard cap limit to the results shown will break a search driven intranet, when content found can´t be viewed by the user because of a "view limit".

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a search driven column type

It would be great to have a column type for lists or libraries that stores a search-query.
    In column settings you would create a query with a reference to the list-item (something like "author:{Item.Author} AND ContentType:Tasks").
    This way you could dynamically link content to a list item.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Let anonymous users view the Search results in SP2019 on-prem modern (communication) site. Currently just shows blank.

Anonymous users of SP2019 on-premises modern communication site cannot see the search results, instead they just see the blank page (without even search and filter controls). But if they search via osssearchresults on the same site, they see the results perfectly fine.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Lists View By Location (Using A Map)

Currently there is two view formats 'Lists' and 'Calendar', I suggest adding a third. 'View By Location' which shows markers on a map (like Bing Maps) taken from a location field in the list. This would be great for scheduling staff in a location. It would require a date dropdown as a filter for showing their locations. (E.G. I want to see where everyone is on the 13/01/21, in a map view using markers)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Implement merge of web, & folder properties with document and list item properties. & Speed up indexing of websites.

Common problem we have is that all documents in website have set of properties related to place in which they are stored like Project name, project type, location ........ when indexer indexing documet metadata, properties from web , folders and item should be combined, so we should be able make query and retrieve them. And another limitation is that when we change web properties, this properties are updated pretty slowly it take more than 72hours, properties of newly created websites are indexed in near realtime but not when we update web properties

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. A feature to specify directories for searching

■Title(件名):
    検索対象階層の指定機能の拡充
    A feature to specify directories for searching

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Online にてドキュメント ライブラリ内の画面上部検索バーから検索した場合、アクセスしているライブラリ配下のすべてのアイテムが検索対象となるが、フォルダーや階層が多数ある場合に検索結果が煩雑となってしまうため、検索対象のフォルダーや階層を指定できる機能の拡充を希望します。
    When searching from the search bar on top of the document library screen in SharePoint Online, all items under the accessed library will be search targets, but search results will turn out to be complicated if there are lots of folders and directories, so we hope that this feature can be improved to specify the folders and directories for searching.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Site collection search when granting access permissions to users

■Title(件名):
    サイト コレクションでユーザーにアクセス権限を付与する際の検索について
    Site collection search when granting access permissions to users

■Description(内容):
    SharePoint Online のサイト コレクションにてユーザーにアクセス権限を付与する際の検索について、現状では前方一致のみで検索が行われるが、SharePoint 2010 などのように前方一致以外の検索も有効にして欲しい。
    Currently when searching SharePoint Online’s Site Collection while granting access permissions to users, the search is only done for matching prefixes. Please improve the search function so that it works like SharePoint 2010 where other search methods will be valid as well, not just prefix searching.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Display the name of the site you are searching within

When searching within a site sometimes people get confused by the verbiage "Search this site" and make the improper assumption that it is searching against everything. A simple and subtle change that could reduce confusion is if you include the name of the site in the search box. For example, "Search within the <Site Name> site".

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. OneDrive Search should ONLY include OneDrive results by default

PLEASE limit OneDrive Search results to only show OneDrive content when searching from OneDrive. There can be an option to expand search results further, but we want the default results to be the person's OneDrive that they are searching from.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Mermaid flowchart in Sharepoint

Hello, I would like to know if sharepoint has support for visualizing Markdown files, within which there is a flowchar with Mermaid format?

Thank you.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. API/Powershell for SharePoint Search analytics/reports

For manual download the OOTB SharePoint reports from SP admin page- SharePoint Online admin portal> Search> Search Reports.
    Multiple reports available OOTB, but no API/Powershell available for Search Analytics, by which we can export custom Search reports or we can schedule the download of OOTB reports Monthly.

Provide API/Powershell for managing/automating SharePoint Search reports.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Searching in recycle bin

I want to have "search" function in recycle bin.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SharePoint Search

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base