SharePoint
Feedback by UserVoice

Suggestion Archive

This is an archive of closed or declined suggestions. We’ve retained these items for historical purposes. They cannot be voted or commented on.

If you wish to re-submit a previously closed suggestion please post it to the appropriate forum. Thanks!

Note: we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Add the same toolbar in Document Libraries in SP OnPrem as for Office 365

Add the O365 toolbar that displays the links "New document / upload / Sync / edit / manage / share" to avoid using the ribbon

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Locking of list items

Currently there is no way to exclusive work on a list-item. In document libraries the checkin/checkout feature can be used to prevent mulitple users from update a certain item.

When I'm update listitems in code, I have to make sure, that no-one else is currently updating the item while I change some data.

Potentially someone could update the item while I'm also update the item. Whoever save the item last will receive an error. This could be prevented with some kind of locking of list-items.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Customize SharePoint Email Alert Templates

Allow the site collection admins to customize the template for the standard SharePoint alerts. The current email alerts are confusing, provide too much information to the user and are out-of-date style-wise.

Allow the admins to add common fields, i.e. "Title", "Created By", and include an image and hyperlinks. Also allow adding a CSS style sheet.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. improve shared customizations story (i.e. custom field types, JSLink restrictions, shared customizations)

I'd like to see an improved story around customizations that traditionally required server side customizations and no real parody was provided for client side techniques including web parts, field types, _layouts files, etc)

We can sort of get Custom Field Types with Site Columns and JSLink, however a few limitations:

1. Only one instance of a site column per list/library.

2. There is a bug in provisioning Rich Text site columns to lists that converts them to Plain Text.

3. Users still see them as "text" fields when they visit the field settings in the SharePoint UI.

4. JSLink is restricted to a link…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. flexibility in working with dates in REST API

Currently dates are returned based on user or site's regional settings. Provide flexibility in retrieving date field values from REST API endpoints to be returned as UTC values and in a format easily consumable by JavaScript (e.g. ISO 8601).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix breadcrumb Navigation in Central Administration

The breadcrumb navigation is broken in several places in central administration and it has been for years. It makes it a hassle administering some service applications / functions.

When navigating to the user profile service application there is no way to go "back" to the start page of the UPS. I find myself very often having to go back to the service applications overview and start the user profile service application via the regular link again. The search service application always has the menu on the left side, making it easy to switch between e.g. search schema and content sources…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The SharePoint settings 'cog' looks the same as the IE settings cog

The settings button (the cog) in the top nav bar looks exactly the same as the Internet Explorer settings cog. They are also quite close to each other. This is confusing for new users who are following guides etc.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better UX for simpler list creation and lookup (like Citrix Podio)

Sharepoint is very powerful and open to use cases but users do not like to use it alot. It could/should be more like Citrix Podio where users build their own "apps" (lists) in a simple and intuitive UI.
    With some enhanced views (desktop and mobile) and especially better lookup capabilities Sharepoint could easily be the better Podio and attract a lot more customers.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Easily disable "Open with explorer" on a library by library basis

Open with explorer is great, but only if you have a pretty simple library structure.
    I've found it causes a lot of grief when used with features such as content organizer and document sets. Need to be able to disable this on a per library basis.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Simple list/library view editing

It would be great if we could have some form of list/library layout editing tool for power users who do not know JavaScript. Something that allows a user to decide whether to have one column showing all the data or stick with 3 columns. It would be nice to have options to separate the rows with lines etc. All this in a simple to use package.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Extend CSOM/REST for modifying item-level permission settings on lists

If possible, please provide a REST endpoint or CSOM API extension for modifying the item-level permission settings which can be found under the advanced list settings. More specific, this means being able to modify the "Read access" and "Create and edit access" settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add ability to add Entity Extractors to SharePoint Online

SharePoint on-premises allows for the use of several entity extractors. Lately customers have been moving to SharePoint Online from FAST or SP2013 On-premises and find that only one entity extractor (Company) exists and can be used. Would be great to be able to add at least 3 new extractors (even if you have to throttle the number of entries).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable selecting custom User Profile Properties from REST API

I've created an UserProfile with some custom properties.
    When using http://siteurl/_api/SP.UserProfiles.PeopleManager/GetMyProperties, I get a resultset with all UserProfile properties, including my custom properties.

When I try to select one (or more) of my custom properties by http://siteurl/_api/SP.UserProfiles.PeopleManager/GetMyProperties?$select=CustomProperty, I do not get the custom property returned.

Selecting on the default properties that SharePoint provides does work.

Right now I am using a workaround which iterates through the (big) resultset with all properties to get my custom property values, but it would be great if I could select just my customer properties.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add true integration with Yammer

The yammer integration is anything but simple and it is not a true integration. It would be nice to be able to post files directly to SharePoint from a yammer group rather than in Yammer. Also it would be nice to finally just have one social framework to deal with...whether it is Yammer or the SP 2013 Newsfeeds. I feel Yammer is much cleaner and easy to use. SharePoint should just be updated to use Yammer as an "app" in SharePoint with full integration...none of this web part stuff. And if I am in Yammer, just allow me to use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Workflow Logging

When a workflow has been finished in SharePoint then the Workflow Cleanup Job removes old tasks and all the workflow related action after a defined period of time. This makes sense to keep the SharePoint List small.
    In certain secarios you need to keep the workflow information for a longer period of time. For example to prove who have published a document and what was the outcome of the tasks. I would suggest that the cleanup job remove the information form the task lists and move it to some sort of archive database where all the workflow information will stay…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow for easy retrieval of the Pages Library

When working with Publishing Pages in CSOM there is no easy way of getting a hold of an existing Publishing Page. You first need to get the underlying Web (note not Publishing Web, just the Web), from its property bag the name of the Pages Library and then combining the URL of the Web, the name of the Pages Library and the name of the Page you can retrieve the Page. Instead of relying on where the name/id of the Pages Library is stored internally, we should be able to retrieve it through the API using the PublishingWeb.GetPagesListName(Web web) method.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 192 193 194 196 Next →

Suggestion Archive

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base