Collection of Closed or Declined Suggestions

Provide deeper examples and API Documentation on Display Templates

The documentation for display template utilized by the new search web parts is very minimal and at best gives you a starting point. It requires painful debugging and examination of the JavaScript to see what key functions are doing to be able to do anything really more than just mapping a few additional managed properties to a template. These are functions like Srch.U.getTrimmedString(string,length).

Also, when traversing blogs, there doesn't seem to be an agreed method for adding post render callbacks for display templates. I have seen both of the following:

ctx.OnPostRender = []; ctx.OnPostRender.push(function(){...});

and

AddPostRenderCallback(ctx, function() {...});

Better documentation is necessary to understand which method is the preferred or best practice approach.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Quick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! Although we appreciate your time and effort to give us this feedback, it’s not something we’re planning to do right now. We understand challenges in the documentation area and are working on providing sufficient documentation for the new capabilities. Since the search experience is rapidly evolving in the future to new areas, we won’t be using resources on this one at this stage.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...